1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting year 6's to level 5 in writing. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by juliateacher, Apr 19, 2008.

1. lots of uplevelling of writing

2. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

Sorry to be dim juliateacher but how do I go about this any pointers grateful recived, links to resources free or to buy?

3. If they aren't doing it now relatively consistently then in the writing tasks on the day they aren't likely to get it! Three weeks revision will only cement ideas not push them through - and why should we!

My school has a lot riding on the writing results - esp L5. However, I know last year we had 11 get a L5 and 27 children get within 3 marks of it - damaged our CVA and my PM target gloriously missed - but if they aren't quite there yet then they aren't quite there yet!

4. The writing marking is also so subjective you could find more or less depending on the marker!

Let's look at the inconsistency of this before we shoehorn children through the tasks:

My oldest child got L4 in reading and L5 in writing at KS2 making it a high 4. Where he was aparently a dead cert L5!

At KS3 he got one of the highest marks in the school for his writing and hit a high L7. His reading - L5 - with a reading age of 15. He's now in y10 and performing at A grade consistently.

The KS3 reading test is predominantly Shakespeare and therefore completely different to anything we might see at KS2 - so realistically other than a few more points on the CVA what does it matter if they get a 5 or 4A equivalent at the end of Y6!!

5. Wonderwoman1

Would still like some more ideas of how to go about uplevelling their writing. Resources needed.

What should I do with the group ?

6. Wonderwoman1

Thanks Julia. No I haven't will have a look at these.

7. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

The only difference it makes is how much grief you get from the authority!!!!

8. Really sorry if this sounds harsh - I do understand your desire for this but if you must have been concerned about these kids in the autumn term - THAT is when you should have been looking at uplevelling them - when they had the chance to make the mistakes and learn from them.

Ask yourself this - are you pushing them this close to the SAT's for them? What possible good will it do if in reality they are NOT a secure L5 in their writing to go up with one?

The new APP promotes SECURE levels - surely we should be aiming for that! I know it is not in place yet but when it gets to this stage the only difference you will make will be marginal even if you do use 'uplevelling' resources.

I say this as a HT who is the one who gets it in the neck far more than anyone else in my LA if we don't hit the targets!

9. One of my lads was predicted a L4 - he came through with a L3 in writing & a L5! in reading - it must have been really close but overall he ended up with a L5.
    Not sure how he scored in CATs tests at secondary but when I pointed out to his new teacher that there was such a gap between his reading & writing (must be terribly frustrating for him) - she said she was unaware of this & it wasn't obvious in fact he was a very able student!
    What's that all about eh?

10. What you should be doing with the group is revision to consolidate their knowledge of different genres of writing and making sure they all understand the different formats and how to recognise them/structure them etc.

The links below are from the literacy across the curriculum KS3 materials but are equally useful for primary.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/secondary/keystage3/down...

pg 21 has a list of things to consider in writing

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/secondary/keystage3/down...

This one is about how to write non-fiction

I am not against raising standards but it has to be done with a long term view not in the last 3 weeks.

11. However, none of the comments help the predicament wonderwoman's in!!! My booster group is working a lot on higher order inferential statements and is actually looking at past mark schemes- we have actually shown them the marking examples in the teacher's guidde so they know what the examiners are looking for and may even steal some snippets from highly marked past papers to use in their own work!!
    Self marking is also a good technique- after completing one of the past tasks get the children to look and see how well they did against the mark scheme, they can then be more responsible for setting a small target for next time- just one or two things they would add from the next band up if they had to do the whole thing again...
    It's all a game and i think that the children will find it easier if we actually show them all the rules!-- It's all about getting as many points as youcan and here, childre, is how you do it!!!!
    Hope it's gonna work for ours anyway!!!

12. It's only a predicament if you perceive it as being one!

I would have thought the things you identified Catmel would be fairly common place in y6 clasrooms leading up to the SAT's - after all what you describe is revision and test technique - to make sure the children do their best. However major shifts are neither likely nor desirable.

My previous post does contain some ideas on how to do things to help. I am afraid I will not veer from saying my piece - there is another thread started today about being grumpy because of the increased workload/pressure/etc. etc. in primaries - we owe it to ourselves and the children to make sure they do their best BUT not at OUR or THEIR expense!!

13. Wonderwoman1

madphil. thank you for your comments, just wanted to say that I don't teach year 6 normally. Writing has been targeted at my school for improvement and it was decided to run a booster classes to try and get the level 4 writers up to level 5 and I was asked to run one of the classes. Personally I don't think half an hour a week is long enough.

14. Having tried just about anything over a 10 year period from half hour boosters to after school boosters to lunchtime clubs etc etc etc I would completely agree with you.

The only thing that has helped over that time - preferential staffing throughout the year and/or creation of an extra class in the term preceding the test during normal lesson time.

15. Right, hands up - I'm a primary teacher, but what are higher order inferential statements? EEK! I googled but with no joy! Am tryying to stretch my 5s to a 6, so found this very interesting. Have been sharing mark schemes, but I think they struggle with the language - even tho I 'translate' as we go! :( Bless, they are only 10/11.

16. Writing this year is purely TA and the test is to be used to aid the teacher's judgement. So, even if they do produce a Lv5 piece on the day you can't give them a 5 unless they produce it on a regular basis. It does give you more than a few weeks to improve their writing though as a final judgement doesn't have to made until the TAs are input.
    I'm a Yr6 teacher so I do understand the pressure but I also hate the fact that we are pushed to push pupils to be seen as a level that they really aren't working at. Their future isn't affected at all by the results they get at primary school - unfortunately for us, ours are!

17. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Poor children. Surely a level 5 is enough to give the message that the child is able. Highschool take little notice of the levels we send up.
    Do you have a ridiculous target to get level 6's?
    Stop this level 6 nonsense now!!

18. Hi Greta,

The previous poster is right in that it is TA, though there is an external marked test you could do...

As for level 5s, one of the biggest indicators is audience and authors voice. So work on that, if you get them thinking and writing creatively you can build in sentence construction work into the peer assessment.