1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Year 1's motivated

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jamie8, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Hi
    I'm finding it quite difficult to get my year 1 class motivated and excited during numeracy lessons. Do any of you have any strategies that have been successful before? They are a quiet class and quite a small group. There doesn't seem to be much spark there as I've had before with hands shooting up. I've tried dressing up, which works a little. Circle games have helped but I can't keep doing these each time.

What strategies can you recommend that have worked? Have you used any eyecatching stimulus/reminder that I can perhaps keep on the board that motivates them? Looking for something different to the old smiley face ideas and stickers.

Thanks

2. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Use lively starters. You could include Peter Fardell's maths songs to get them going, and simple IWB games - see the ICT games website (I like Whackamole) or Education City if your school pays a subscription. Keep your input short, with lots of pupil involvement. My problems tend to be the other way round, with the whole bouncing up and down and silly noises thing going on!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are they learning and happy?

4. All stand up facing the front like an old-fashioned looking PE lesson. Count on fingers in fives, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 followed by 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (which accounts for both hands).
    Then with two fingers pointing per hand, count in twos shooting each hand in turn diagonally up to the ceiling.
    Start from different points, e.g. 6....8,10,12.
    Get hold of lots of packs of old playing cards, split them up into smaller sets. The children play in pairs (or can be threes). Teach the children how to hold the packs and turn over the cards. Play games of number bonds to 10. The children take it in turns to hold the part pack.
    Then, they have to shout out the number bond, the fastest gets all the cards.
    Then pair of the winners and pair up the slower children. It is incredible how well this teaches number bonds and how 'fast' the slower children become - sometimes beating the naturally faster children.
    There's all sorts of warm-up games and activities to do for basic number work and shape work. Just think outside the box for a while.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ooh, that card game sounds good.
    Did you know that some countries count the toes as well?

6. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

I use Kagan structures which are very interractive and lively. Mine love things like the Sesame Street counting songs (Youtube them)andf I have found lots of songs and vicuals for learning of months of the year, counting in 5's etc. on youtube which are great for introductions/plenaries.

7. Do you have the ISBN number for Peter Fardell's maths songs please?

8. ditwee

ditwee New commenter