1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Y5s ready for the Reading SATs!

Discussion in 'English' started by sconesandjam, Jul 24, 2019.

1. sconesandjam

sconesandjam New commenter

Hi everyone,
    So I have one year to get the Y5s ready for Y6 SATs next year.

English in our school has not been as I would expect. Leadership were against guided reading and in favour of shared but we had no resources. Hence the last Y5 staff didn't do much guided reading and the shared reading was too quick for lower ability pupils. The SATs for reading were not as good as hoped for. So reading and comprehension is up in the air at the mo.

I would like to know what other schools are doing with reading to develop comprehension and reading fluency? What Do other schools Do with UKS2? Do people do/not do guided reading? How do you get lower ability to do shared reading that is beneficial to them? What resources, schemes, novels are you using to get children to improve comprehension, fluency and date I say it getting children to like reading etc?

Thank you.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We still have guided reading in ability groups and whole class reading too! When one group is carrying out guided reading, another group works with an experienced TA on reading comprehension type questions-primarily looking at inference and deduction skills.We also introduced Accelerated Reader which the children love, they like the competitive element! We have prizes for reading the most words, prizes for correctly completing the reading tests-in fact prizes for anything we think of! This has also helped ensure the children are reading books at an appropriate level.We run reading cafes for parents to come in and share books-not that we get many Yr 6 parents in, we run reading raffles for those that read independently at home, we use a lot of classic fiction, for reading and writing based activities. In fact we do anything and everything we can! Something has worked as our reading SATS percentage has risen from 60% to over 80% this year!