1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting worried as haven't heard from IoE!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by robynsmith, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hi all...
    According to GTTR, my application was recieved by the IoE on 18th November. Got it sent in a bit later than I hoped as my personal tutor at uni took a month to do my reference! Anyway I'm applying for PGCE Secondary in Social Science, so just wandered how long did it take you to get an interview as it's been over 2 weeks for me now? Also if anyone has had an interview there, advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all...
    According to GTTR, my application was recieved by the IoE on 18th November. Got it sent in a bit later than I hoped as my personal tutor at uni took a month to do my reference! Anyway I'm applying for PGCE Secondary in Social Science, so just wandered how long did it take you to get an interview as it's been over 2 weeks for me now? Also if anyone has had an interview there, advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

3. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hiya..

I sent in my application to the GTTR on October 15th. I received an email from the IOE inviting me for an interview. The email arrived on November 16th and my interview was on November 24th. It seemed to take forever to hear from them, so don't worry! I applied for the PGCE secondary English.

The whole interview process was actually an enjoyable experience. We started with a general introduction to the course, most of the chat about the future of the PGCE and the uncertainty of places that will be available for next year. We then were split into groups and given a short story by a year seven student to discuss. We had 15 minutes to write about the piece of work and then we were given our individual interview time. The interview was really relaxed and informal, surprisingly not a lot of chat about anything I've found on the websites! Just be yourself and be honest!

Hope that helps, I'm in the same boat waiting to see if I get offered a place, fingers crossed for us both!!

4. Ok so it took you a month to hear about an interview... I'll relax for another 2 weeks then!
    Thanks for letting me know what to expect, good luck x

5. Hello robynsmith, have you heard yet by any chance? I applied for the same course but didn't send my application until 30th November, since I did my classroom observation placement mid November.. Worried I've missed the boat, I was told they normally fill the course by January!

Thanks

6. Hi swenglish
    I got invited for an interview less than a week after my post! It was on Monday 13th. As you got your application in 2 weeks after me I would guess maybe you won't hear til after Christmas now.
    Just so you dont get the same surprise I did... over half the people at my interview were currently working in schools and a third had been at the interview the year before so knew the drill! Made me feel so worried and now I'm not feeling very confident at all :( but won't hear til January - unlike other courses IOE aren't allocating places until they hear about funding.
    Hope that helps, best of luck!

7. Hi , thanks for replying robyn, that's confirms my fears about my lack of school experience - not sure how far my two week placement will get me if that's what the competition are offering! Still, it was worth a try and I guess I'll just have to try again next year if I missed the boat this time.

Best of luck to you too - I'm sure you have at least the same chance as the others since you all got invited to interview after all :)!

8. Hi,

I wouldn't worry too muchl. I had an interview in November after sending my application in October. It was for PGCE in English. I have since had an email to say that because of funding cuts etc we should not expect to hear about any decisions until late january at the earliest. I am however worried about this because it means our applications are stuck in the process. For example, if I am not offered a place at IoE and my application is passed on to the next university then will all those places have been filled because of the time IoE have taken to decide about their course. As for not hearing from them one of my friends applying for history PGCE only got his interview date sent to him a few weeks ago and then had the interview last week. I know History, Business and English have all had their interviews already. Hope this helps!

9. I haven't had that email (although I didn't get an email for my interview either and had to phone up the University). I was in the very first batch for the Primary PGCE interview on the 16th December, so it's been 4 weeks today for me and still no change on Track. I really hope we all hear soon!

10. I didn't get that email either and I interviewed for Secondary English months ago. I did email someone there earlier in the week though and got a reply asking for patience and saying that they still don't have an exact date for the announcement but they hope it to be by the end of the month.
    Good to see the email you got though, Robyn. Fingers crossed the wait is nearly over!

11. I guess the different admissions tutors are handling it differently. I'm assuming social sciences have been sending them lots of emails, so that's why I got a group one! Let's all post here when we hear anything more?
    Some days the wait doesn't bother me... today is not one of them!

12. I know what you mean, there are days when I can put it to the back of my mind and days when I feel like I'm going mad with frustration. Your email definitely sounds like encouraging news though and has given me a bit of a lift so thanks for posting that.

13. Has anyone heard anything on the news about the government letting training providers know the numbers?
    I haven't so was wandering if the email was a bit over optimistic. Though my Track application has been updated for the first time ever - on 13th January the decision bit was changed to interview. Strange that this has happened now, although the email said not to take notice of track unless it says you are rejected. So I'll stop trying to read into it and just guess they're just updating it as never did before.