1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting website to show when searched for?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mrs abc, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Does anybody know how I can get our website to be found if somone searches for our school on a search engine??

The website is up and running but noone can find it unless they know the address.

Any ideas??

2. Does anybody know how I can get our website to be found if somone searches for our school on a search engine??

The website is up and running but noone can find it unless they know the address.

Any ideas??

3. There's quite a lot of things to do such as submitting to search engines, adding a robots.txt file, using relevant meta tags and you can also use tools like Google sitemaps. If you want to drop me an e-mail I'll see if I can give you a hand. ajones at allaboutclait.com

Andrea Jones
    www.allaboutclait.com

4. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Hi mrs abc. If your site is newly online, then it can take a few months for it to get a high ranking in Google and, as allaboutclait says, you need to have your pages' meta tags and other content well thought-out.

As far as seeing visitor data is concerned, a lot depends on your hosting company and the access they give you 'behind the scenes'. If you can get there, there will probably be a link to a page containing webstats. A couple of web programs which do this are 'AWStats' and 'Webalizer'.

These programs look at your server's log files and display a host of information - from traffic overall on a daily/hourly basis, visitors' countries, domains right through to search engine visits and search terms. Actually seeing the words/terms which people use to locate your site can be very useful when you're trying to optimise your pages for search engines.

It's an absolute mine of information which can keep you amused for hours - if you're that way inclined.

Hope this helps.

5. Incidentally if a lot of pupils "spontaneously" log on to the school web site it tends to shoot up the Google ratings.

Just a thought!

I know someone who put some very naughty metatags on his or her website and got a lot of hits but I do not commend this as a course of action!

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin New commenter

Also if you do something like the above, putting incorrect information in your metatags, to manipulate searches then Google may even remove your listing.
    e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4685750.stm

Anyway, things like keyword density, meta tags and other similar tricks are so 90's :) search engines are a lot more intelligent these days so those sorts of tricks tend not to work.

What we're talking about is usually referred to as Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). A quick search should produce a lot of information on this. Despite what a lot of companies say there isn't any secrets in SEO. Some useful links that have useful info on the subject:

www.threadwatch.org
    www.webmasterworld.com
    www.seobook.com (I like this as it is regularly updated)

You can improve your ranking as well by having quality links to your website. So making sure your website is linked by you LA for example will help. Maybe ask for links from your feeder schools, or from schools you feed?

Most importantly though is the content of your website, the better the content the easier it'll be to get up the ranking.

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

8. I got my site onto google after two weeks.

I used a meta tag generator site and then put this onto my main page.

I used google webmaster tools to see how google see's my site and check if the search bots are finding any issues with the site.

I use google analytics to get stats on how the site is being viewed by others and from where in the world.

As was pointed out google's ranking site is based upon how often your site is viewed in some cases. My suggestion is to get your network manager to change the default site for the network to be your school homepage.

Make sure you submit your site to google and other search engines to be found.

Google
    Yahoo
    Open Directory Project(Most search engines use the directory for their own listings).

It can be a long waiting game though to get it onto a search engine. I think I was just lucky to be honest.

Mprcomp

9. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Some good points there, mprcomp - but a mild warning.

We had our school site as our default page for school machines - but the resulting traffic took us over our monthly bandwidth limit (2GB) with our then hosts.

Have changed both now - the home page is the intranet and we now rent a VPS for our site.

10. mprcomp I use the same sort of technique as you but I use sitemaps as well and I find my sites get into the search engines within a week or two, so I don't think it was just luck. I've still got my offer open to Mrs ABC to give her a hand if she wants, sitemaps, for instance, can be very picky about things like line endings in the xml file.

Andrea Jones
    www.allaboutclait.com

11. i have my own blog does it can be placed first in google does it need money or how this is my blog http://burgerkingmenu.blogspot.com/

12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

You can do that and still produce an entirely inoffensive page, though:
    http://www.advanced-ict.info/hardcore/

13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I suspect that you might be in violation of the new EU law on cookies and privacy.
    To answer the original question, though...
    Google says that sites can take up to six weeks to get indexed, but I've found that a week or two is often enough - it just depends on when the robot comes to call. The last new site I created appeared in Google searches after about a week, but then zoomed up the ratings the second time the robot called, which was only another week or two later. I had added the site to my Google account and uploaded an XML site map, though - I'm not sure how much difference that makes.
    This might be my imagination, but I think that as well as meta tags, etc., relevant domain names and file names (for the pages) also help your ranking. My ICT site, with file names such as excel.html and databases.html, seems to appear consistently higher in the rankings than CMS-based sites where all the pages are called page.php or whatever.
    Google does publish at least some of the factors used by its ranking algorithm - they also take into account the number of links to a site and how long it takes to appear (quicker sites are nearer the top, apparently).
    PS. Other search engines are available.