1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting vexed about all the stuff I have...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Just watched a Grand Designs- they had a bathroom with NOTHING in it- no towels, no bottles- where do they keep their stuff? My housen is FULL of stuff I dont need... I have over 10 bottles of shampoo I don't need- ( I have a sensitive scalp and buy expensive shampoos that- even though they say they are for sensitive scalps- make my head itch.) I took 600 books to oxfam (in one go) once. I have a matress in my dining room. I have near on 50 files of old lesson plans. I still have hundreds and hundreds of books. Where do you keep your bedding? Mine is on top of the wardrobe and it looks awful messy. I tried selling stuff on ebay but it ended up costing me more than I made to post. I've just joined freecycle- but not sure anyone else would want all the stuff i don't want. Big problem is that I just cannot bin things for landfill ( and daughter of an horrendous (dead) hoarder.) Someone please help! I LOVE clear minimal rooms, but would need another house to put all my stuff in...

2. Just watched a Grand Designs- they had a bathroom with NOTHING in it- no towels, no bottles- where do they keep their stuff? My housen is FULL of stuff I dont need... I have over 10 bottles of shampoo I don't need- ( I have a sensitive scalp and buy expensive shampoos that- even though they say they are for sensitive scalps- make my head itch.) I took 600 books to oxfam (in one go) once. I have a matress in my dining room. I have near on 50 files of old lesson plans. I still have hundreds and hundreds of books. Where do you keep your bedding? Mine is on top of the wardrobe and it looks awful messy. I tried selling stuff on ebay but it ended up costing me more than I made to post. I've just joined freecycle- but not sure anyone else would want all the stuff i don't want. Big problem is that I just cannot bin things for landfill ( and daughter of an horrendous (dead) hoarder.) Someone please help! I LOVE clear minimal rooms, but would need another house to put all my stuff in...

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I feel your pain.
    I am you.
    *wah* [​IMG]

4. bnm

bnm

Every house needs storage. I put bedding/towels/hoover/mop and bucket/clothes airer in a cupboard in the bathroom (that would have a hot water tank in it if we didn't have a combi-boiler).
    Books are my downfall.....we have decided to have the spare bedroom (no bed in it) shelved from floor to ceiling for them. We also bought an enormous chest of drawers that has "stuff" in it (paints, cassettes, cameras, jigsaws, photos).
    I am ruthless with the Salvation Army bag so far as clothes and shoes go. Have shelves in utility room for shoes and a rack for coats.
    About to get bathroom refurbished and have requested storage ( for the bottles etc).

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

The in-laws paid somebody to go through their house and sell what they could, dump what was unnecessary and bring order to the rest.
    It made no difference.

6. don't look round your house in total - take it one small bit at a time - every weekend you can raise the energy, sort a shelf/cupboard/cluttered corner
    if it can't go to oxfam and you get no takers on freecycle/gumtree, check if it's recyclable to minimise landfill guilt (old sheets and stuff often are, for example)
    florapost - still working on it, 2 years into a de-cluttering drive

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Those decluttering programmes, they are not suitable viewing for teachers. Just accept this.
    Only when we retire can we rid ourselves of the detritus.
    That, or get a really really big shed.

8. :)
    Thanks for comments- Since I posted I have managed to rid my house of some junk mail, and about 2 glasses of wine... About to post on market place if you want some KS1/2 Maths books... for free!

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It's breaking the spurious emotional attachment to all the 'stuff' that I struggle with.
    For example, I have a suitcase full of my late father's shirts that's been in a cupboard in our spare room for over 13 years.
    I need to toughen up. Have a whole house to clear and I'm currently dealing with it via the ostrich method... [​IMG]

10. I'm with you! I have my dead parent's stuff too! All their degree stuff from...what 50 years ago- tons of their book, their wedding present shelving (and nowhere to put it...) Mum's graduation gown ( might get MY kids to wear it- firstborn just got a 2.1 ) Struggling getting rid of it. I do have a big basement, and am trying ro clear it out- 3 piece suite down there, football table, drum kit, about 8 tents, even a wooden fridge!

11. NellyFUF

Ah but do you have your deceased mother's gas bills? If not you are hardly in the running.

12. a wooden fridge?

13. NellyFUF

that sounde good, give it to me, I hoard interesting stuff

14. Oh thank you!! only have all of my bills and statements for the last 27 years...

15. sorry forgot to quote...

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Workaday paperwork I can launch no problem. Bring on the shredder!
    It's stuff that sparks memories and reminiscinces that I struggle with (old letters, cards etc).

17. yes, a wooden fridge- i took the motor out of the bottom half and used it to house my portable TV in the kitchen.... very very heavy. Should be in a museum

18. ...and a gong made from elephant tusks ( eughhhh or similar negative sentiments)

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

20. Thank you- I would only ever sell to donate £££ to elephant/ wildlife charity- I am quite embarrassed ( 2 glasses of wine) to have inherited it. it's at least 35 years old. Horibble thing.