1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting upto scratch before September.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by craig_f, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Right, I have just finally had my ICT GTP placement confirmed for September. I didn't want to tempt fate by posting this before I got 100% official confirmation.
    I have 6 months before I start and obviously I dont want to head in like a rabbit in the headlights, I want to be prepared .
    I have a few questions I am hoping some of you could help with - I have posted a few questions below;
    a} What textbooks/literature can I buy or read prior to my placement that would get me upto scratch with the current ICT curriculum ?
    b} What observations and experiences should I be looking to get before I start?
    c} What should i request from my HOD / Mentor
    d} Anyone have an excellent build up of internet resources they would recommend?
    e} Any other points you would like add before my ICT GTP?

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

CF

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Reorganise your questions.
    C first. Find some time to visit and talk.
    Then depending on the inforomation you get work on getting up to speed with the applications used in the school.
    School has a VLE I assume? Get a userID and password and ask to be enrolled onto the courses you'll be teaching, look at the resources used.
    HTH

3. I was just typing as I thought, sorry. There is no coherent order to the Q's.

Thank you for your advice.

4. I would:
    - set up a web host account, set up Moodle and play. Use Moodle to organise your notes, as it will give you a great excuse for trying out things, but apart from that, start saving EVERYTHING you do in an organised fashion in Moodle.
    - next, I'd learn Alice and Scratch to a point where you are hot.
    - learn Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    - learn a video editing piece of software (not Movie Make. Try Serif or Lighthouse).
    - Audacity
    - Prezi
    - Open Office
    - I hesitate, but knowing Access and Excel and Word and PowerPoint would help.
    - Become good at VB.net 2010
    - read a couple of books on personal managing of time and tasks, behaviour in schools and teen psychology, and you'll be read to go.

5. Why learn all that if the school don't use them?
    Find out what they are using first - it might be that they use Movie Maker.

6. Be careful about buying "How to Teach" books because although they are good, your university library/local library will have them, other teachers have copies and when I did my training we were given two "readers" which saved me infinate amounts of money. All my trainees have been loaned my readers and they are Harvard indexed! Therefore it might be an idea to contact your university and find out what training materials they will provide you with.
    "Would you like a cup of tea." On a more serious note ask for a username and password and get to know the system. Find out what programs they have and learn them back to front. I hate traniees who are clingy and love trainees who are pro-active and come with an USP.
    teach-ict.com is fab.
    You will not have time in your training year to make lots of interactive resources, so now is your time. You will not have time in your training year to have a break/holiday and relax, so now is your time.
    Also work on toileting skills. As a teacher (or traniee teacher) you cannot go to the toilet when you want!
    Well done on your GTP placement.

7. Just like to say I have rea devery reply and your advice, as usual, is fantastic.
    I am going to set-up a meeting very soon with my HOD and take all your advice onboard.
    Thanks to one and all again.

8. Really? I think this is completely unrealistic. There is nothing worse than a teacher trying to demonstrate how to use software they themselves are not confident in using. If you were to try and learn all of the software mentioned here by September you would not be proficient.

Also, you can't just "learn" programs like Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks. They are not as intuitive as other software and requires training and time. Please do not pay too much attention to mossonbrick's post. Whilst I agree you do need to be organised, find a method that will suit you. This may be via moodle, or just a simple A4 or A5 diary/planner.

Like the other posts, I would recommend you find time to meet with the head of department in the school. Ask them what software the pupils are using/learning, and importantly, which features of the software need to be used. I pretty sure most people would agree that we hardly ever use all of the capabilities of programs like Excel or Access, especially in KS3. Remember, your pupils will only have a certain amount of time in ICT lessons, I doubt they will be doing everything!!

Your HOD should also provide you with a Scheme of Work/Learning for the groups you will teach. Take time to read this and try to understand what you will need to teach. A good practise, if you have time, is to actually complete the tasks as if you were a pupil. This should help you understand their point of view and you may also come across possible barriers to learning which many of us teachers sometimes struggle to identify.

I think someone else posted, and I agree www.teach-ict.com has a lot of useful resources. classtools.net has an excellent countdown timer.

Well done getting your placement, hope what I've said here helps.

Good luck!

9. Really? I think this is completely unrealistic. There is nothing worse than a teacher trying to demonstrate how to use software they themselves are not confident in using. If you were to try and learn all of the software mentioned here by September you would not be proficient.

Also, you can't just "learn" programs like Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks. They are not as intuitive as other software and requires training and time. Please do not pay too much attention to mossonbrick's post. Whilst I agree you do need to be organised, find a method that will suit you. This may be via moodle, or just a simple A4 or A5 diary/planner.

Like the other posts, I would recommend you find time to meet with the head of department in the school. Ask them what software the pupils are using/learning, and importantly, which features of the software need to be used. I pretty sure most people would agree that we hardly ever use all of the capabilities of programs like Excel or Access, especially in KS3. Remember, your pupils will only have a certain amount of time in ICT lessons, I doubt they will be doing everything!!

Your HOD should also provide you with a Scheme of Work/Learning for the groups you will teach. Take time to read this and try to understand what you will need to teach. A good practise, if you have time, is to actually complete the tasks as if you were a pupil. This should help you understand their point of view and you may also come across possible barriers to learning which many of us teachers sometimes struggle to identify.

I think someone else posted, and I agree www.teach-ict.com has a lot of useful resources. classtools.net has an excellent countdown timer.

Well done getting your placement, hope what I've said here helps.

Good luck!