1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting UPS at new job

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by beechclose, Jun 27, 2015.

1. beechclose

beechclose New commenter

I was on UPS2 9 years ago when I left teaching for a period. Last Sept I started a new job on M6. The job has changed beyond recognition since I started in sept in particular I am now doing huge amounts of whole school music but am employed as a Teacher of the Deaf. I have my performance management meeting next Fri and am going to raise the subject of UPS as I am certain I deserve it! Would I have to jump through all the hoops again or is the certificate I have filed somewhere safe sufficient to prove I am capable and I just need my head to agree?

Thanks in advance

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It will depend entirely on your school's pay policy.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's as Siegen says, depends on your school pay policy. Unlikely they'll put you on UPS just because you were on it 9 years ago. If they were willing to do that wouldn't they have put you on UPS when you started in September? You'll probably have to apply same as anyone else in the school.

4. beechclose

beechclose New commenter

I'm inclined to agree except for the fact that after employing me they employed someone else to do the same job who had been out of teaching for as long and are paying her UPS.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am afraid that this is unlikely to be an argument you could possibly use.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are as good as you say you are, you must have a good chance if you apply for UPS to start in September. I am afraid that Dynamo67 is right - just because somebody else managed to negotiate UPS, it does not mean that you should have got it, I am surprised that you even know about it; pay levels are usually seen as private.