1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting up...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thumbshrew, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Get ready in case the phone call comes at the last minute for a school some distance away. It's frustrating when the phone call doesn't come, but worth it when it does.

2. I'm all for being ready the night before. I've been getting up early to call in my availability because it's been slow, but I literally wake up 10 minutes before I call in, get myself ready and dressed and then call. I live in London, so with public transit, it always takes way longer to get places at times so I like to be ready to go if a phone call happens to come in.

If you supply in a smaller area, you might be able to get away with sleeping in until a call comes in.

3. annaliddell

annaliddell New commenter

Its such an annoying situation to be in isnt it?!
    I get up and half get ready - cuppa tea, maybe some brekkie, do my hair...
    Then if I get a call I can whip on some clothes and my face and I'm off...
    If I don't get a call I crawl back into bed :)
    Anna :)

4. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

After a couple of years of supply, these days the majority of my work is prebooked but on the days they are not, I get up about 6.20am and am showered and dressed by 7 waiting for the call which I have to say, for me will come 99.9% of the time. I am lucky in that I work for an exceptional agency in an area where day to day work is plentiful. I leave the house immediately i get the call, grabbing my satnav, crb and passport - if it is a new school.
    Good luck with supply. For those of us lucky enough to get work 5 days a week, it is a fantastic job.

5. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

It depends on the time of year and the likelyhood of getting the call!

6. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

After a whole half term of getting no early calls I've stopped getting up in the morning.

7. I never take my CRB or passport. Do you get asked for them?
    My agency badge has my CRB number on it and my photo is faxed through to the school before I arrive.

8. Same here! I much prefer pre-booked anyway. As I guess most of us do?!

9. This is my general approach but with only 3 days of supply so far this year I am getting quite bored of it now and have stopped in bed this week! Must try harder next week.

10. I'm up at 6am as no-one else in the household is capable of getting themselves up!!!! No, only joking - I like to get up and have some peace before the kids get up and argue for the bathroom. New to supply this academic year and have been ready at 7am. I only had a call for a nusery shift which started at 8.30am.
    All of my teaching work has been prebooked.
    On the mornings when no work comes in I've managed to do all the housework chores before 10am and settle down with a cuppa to watch Homes Under the Hammer[​IMG]

11. mimo06

mimo06 New commenter

12. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

My agency seem to open around 7.30 so I get up at 7, clean my teeth and put make up on then I sit with a cup of tea in my pyjamas and I Just have to throw on my clothes if i need to go out the door. If it gets to 8.40 and I have no call i go about my normal day/go back to bed.

I have my supply bag packed, bus route finder up on my laptop and lunch made the night before.

As i dont drive i know I wont get calls later than 8.40.

13. I never call in. They call me if there's work or they don't. I don't think calling in achieves anything except cloggging up the phones on which schools may be callling in.