1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting tutoring jobs

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by walby1993, Aug 14, 2019.

1. walby1993

walby1993 New commenter

Hi all,

Been tutoring a few years now but I was just wondering where people get their tutoring jobs from - I’ve primarily used the tutor hunt website but want to up my hours this coming academic year if possible so looking for more places to find students.

Thanks

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Facebook page
    UK tutors
    First tutors
    Word of mouth

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If you have a search through this forum you'll find several threads on this topic and lots of suggestions.

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I've got a lot of work through tutorful. They are also very helpful. Many teachers don't like them because they take a percentage but as a maths teacher I can confirm that 75% of something is considerably more than 100% of nothing!

5. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

I use half a dozen sites, I've found tutorful very helpful too, and tutorhunt pretty bad (for online lessons). In terms of business model, superprof would be the best, with only a one off fee to use the site for students. They seem to protect rogue students over tutors though, so I can't recommend them (shame, the French mother website is very helpful).

My best students have done more than a hundred hours; at £30 an hour for me, that's £10 an hour to the site in fees at tutorful etc. Paying £1000 over the whole tuition just for having found me is obviously ridiculous. I don't see how long term tuition can be viable on such websites, but I do a lot of short term tuition instead.

6. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

I registered ages ago with Tutorhunt and First Tutors and have only had one person who was going to pay for my details. Lots have viewed my profile but no takers. Mind you my subject isn't maths or physics. IMO there are so many tutors on these sites that students can pick and choose who they like. I have a reasonable £25 for all my lessons. Th sites also tell you if there is someone in the area who is is looking for a particular subject and you can send them your details but again lots of tutors send their details through. Waiting for tutees on the net is not really the way most people pick up students. I think most of it is through word of mouth or you may get work from TH and FT if you have a shortage subject like maths and physics and if you can teach A level in these subjects, you might be the only tutor in your area.

It also costs the tutee about £30 to get a tutor's details which I think puts off lots of students.