1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Getting to know you' lesson for year 4- help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hana54, Jun 11, 2015.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas for a good 'getting to know the class' session for year 4s? I've done the usual items that represent me, information booklets about the class etc, but am looking for something a bit different. It's my first lesson after returning from maternity leave so want it to be a bit of a 'wow' one that leaves the class excited for September! Thanks in advance x

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What is your first topic in September? Maybe we could link that in.

3. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Good point! It's undecided at the moment as will be job sharing so need to sit down and have a chat about it. Possibly ancient egypt x

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

5. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I like to write a letter to a new class about myself and what we will be learning at the start of the academic year. I ask lots of questions e.g. friends, favourite subjects... The children have an envelope and a piece of paper to write a letter to me.

I also give them a postcard to take home. In the summer holidays they can write about something they did and most will post it to me! I love displaying them for the first day back.

6. missmohican

missmohican New commenter

I created a time capsule with my (year 4/5) class a couple of years ago and they loved it - local and national newspaper from the day we created it, and then I got every child to write a letter to themselves for a year's time (I did one to to model it). Included things like their friends, current favourite subject, what they enjoy doing, etc. Who do they think will win Wimbledon, Women's World Cup, when I did it I think it was shortly before Royal Baby No. 1 was born so I got them to guess if it was a boy or girl, that sort of thing.

We then put them in a box and "sealed" it, and opened it a year later - they both enjoyed the idea of writing to their future selves and also reading the letters a year later!