1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Getting to know you activities

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Mar 7, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am currently looking for new ways to get to know a class. I start my new job on Monday and want a fun and interesting way to meet them and get to know them...has anyone got any new ideas I could have? Many thanks :)

2. A friend of mine (drama teacher) wrote out name labels before the class entered, then set the room up as a meeting of 'school inspectors'. He was in role as the chief inspector and used the session to ask them about interesting lessons they had 'seen' (of course, really 'had been in'). As they all were wearing name labels he got to learn names too.
    HTH

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thats a really interesting idea but I don't know if I could pull it off as well as your friend did...nice idea tho :)

4. You could tell the children two truths and a lie about yourself and get them to guess what the lie is (the more interesting the better!)
    Get them to write an interesting fact about themselves on a piece of paper. In a circle draw the facts out one by one. You have a guess then see if their classmates can guess the right person. You could then use the facts as the basis for a memory game like the Minister's Cat.
    Getting the children to write a letter introducing themselves to you is a good way to find out about them whilst also getting a chance to informally assess writing and how well they work independently.
    I hope your first day goes well!

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

That is a really good idea I am amazed I love it. When you say in a circle draw the facts out do you mean get the children to sit in a circle and I read out the facts that are written one by one and the children have to guess who wrote it? I havent heard of the Minister's cat before what is that? I love the idea about getting the children to write a letter introducing themselves to me...how much input do you feel I should give before I set this task?

6. Like the idea but think a toilet roll may cause abit of a riot in some classes. Sticky notes instead?

7. I know what you mean- but when i have used this one, the attention seekers take loads and the shy take one. It helps me get to know who needs coaxing and who needs "a different approach".

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

It worked a treat and definitely shows who the characters are :).

9. Glad it worked out for you !

10. Hi again .... We also have this which is great for the first week with a new class - its our Getting to Know Me Class resource.
    Use as a variety of independent activities, create personal booklets or use on the IWB as a stimulus for whole class discussion. The completed work looks great on a Getting to Know Us dislay too for the first part of the term and also makes a lovely keepsake to look back and compare themselves too at the end of the school year:)
    [​IMG]
    Just follow the link if you want to find out more :)

11. Hi,

This link doesn't seem to work - is it still active?

Another one we used was with a ball of wool where the children have to throw it to one another and say something about the person they throw it to beginning with the first letter of their name (eg Sarah is smiley/ or John likes jumping) and they keep hold of the end. At the end they have to do it backwards remembering the facts about one another to untangle themselves - good fun and good for memory too!