1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting to grips with assessment?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I am a NQT in a mixed year 1 and 2 class. Does anybody have some great advice about how I should get to grips with assessment? Is there a course which can 'teach you'? A website with 'this is how you do it' instructions? I know you'll probably re-direct me to what my school is doing, but to be honest, they are due to re-assess(!) their Assessment Policy and so my HT (also my Mentor) has told me 'not to worry' - so I have not been keeping APP sheets. I have also flagged up Assessment as being an area that I would like to get to grips with, but no support to date. What I have been doing for my own records, is giving a Maths test at the end of every half-term and also attempting to level a piece of independent writing at the end of every half term. However, we are soon to meet as a school to go through every child's progress and although I know where each child is in terms of their ability within the class, I feel as though my attempts at giving levels and targets are a bit too much like shooting in the dark for my liking. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction half-way through my induction year? Thanks for any help.