1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting through next four weeks

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

hi
    any advice on surviving the last four weeks before I leave for a new job. have left other jobs before but never wanted to leave so badly as I do now

DexterDexter likes this.
  2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Head down and count the days...........it's all you can do.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I feel for you. The last lap can feel interminable....

4. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

There isn't long left.
    Figure out in advance how you can make each day bearable.
    Can you get in on any low stress trips?
    Essential educational videos for those challenging groups.
    Keep telling yourself that you will be paid more for the summer than the length of time you have left to work.
    Good luck!

agathamorse, Piranha and lardylegs like this.
  5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Make yourself a little countdown chart. Itemise what you have to do each day. Do not do one iota extra.

Book something fabulous for the day after the end of term.

DexterDexter likes this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Countdown the days till you leave, the last weeks of term do usually go quick especially when there is a lot to do.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You can sign yourself off for seven days. How are you feeling today ...... ?

suzuki1690 likes this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Why on earth do that if you're not ill?

Pomza and Piranha like this.
  9. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

Countdown the days in your diary. Get your family and friends to do the same. I had a long notice period from my last job and worked out the % and fraction completed and left at the end of each block of 5 days. It really helped me. 4 weeks will fly by. It’s only 20 days. 19 now! 18 if we don’t count today. 15 after the weekend. Half way through by next weekend. Think to the next role you have, after that lovely summer break of longer than you’ve got left. Reward with treats on each Wednesday or Friday. Move out your things gradually each evening. You’ll then walk in each day and see you’re going- I did that in my job before the last one. I knew I then could walk out with just my pencil case.

You’re nearly there!

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

This is such good advice, which I am following myself. 12 days left for me. I am shifting stuff a little bit at a time, sorted the desk drawers today, returned resources to where they belong, tidied stuff in the cupboard and so on. Taken home everything which belongs to me and not the school.

Tomorrow I will rescue my lovely mugs from the staffroom.

Walking out with my pencil case is my new ambition!

11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Do the minimum.

lardylegs and suzuki1690 like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked out how much each week/then day/then lesson earned me... So when a pupil was making a lesson difficult, I would think to myself: 'that hour was a nightmare BUT I've just banked £....' And smile.

Worked for me!

lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  13. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

God I remember that so well.

You say to yourself you'll just get your head down and get through it but every day something really challenging happens - be it pupil behaviour or SLT try and catch you out or make you feel anxious over something.

It's hard - but just get through each week and tick it off, make sure you have something nice planned midweek, that always helps IMO e.g a nice meal or a cinema date or something.

It's ridiculous how desperate you get to just leave and never return to a place of work. The very definition of toxic environment.

14. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

That is the kind of comment which could affect some people’s attitudes towards those who are genuinely off ill.

ilovesooty and border_walker like this.
  15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Whatever.

lardylegs and suzuki1690 like this.
  16. shouldileaveteaching

shouldileaveteaching New commenter

I'm feeling the same way as you OP. I also feel very lonely at work, I can't get on well with anyone in my dept (not like they don't like me it's just me being very quiet and feel isolated most of the times).

They made me re-apply for the job and gave it to someone external. Luckily I got another job to go now but it feels awkward and really hard to survive each day..

Idiomas11 and agathamorse like this.
  17. shouldileaveteaching

shouldileaveteaching New commenter

I do want to go off sick for the last day of term. It doesn't affect the kids at all and everyday seems unbearable for me at the moment. I just want to cry everyday.. exactly 3 weeks to go!

suzuki1690 likes this.
  18. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

As another poster said, can you organise something to get you away from the difficult classes to regain your strength? If you feel that bad, honestly see your doctor, get signed off. No job should be getting you into this state. What would you advise a friend to do in this position? Dont just carry on through some mistaken believe that you have to. If its that vad see your doctor and look after yourself.

blueunicorn and agathamorse like this.
  19. starlightexpress

It’s a good feeling, knowing all personal bits are safely at home. Is it 11 days now? All the best.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. starlightexpress

Is it now three weeks and a day or 16 days?