1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting through a full year!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon1021, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm not yet doing my NQT year but am currently in a teaching role. So far, I have found that there are certain things to 'get though' during each half term. The first half term was getting to know new classes. This half term seems to be difficult but I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps it's the running out of energy?? Anyhow, I've spoken to other teachers who have also said that the half term before Christmas is a difficult one.
    So I thought I'd start a thread of half terms so that we could write some pointers for each one - before you know it we'll have completed a full year!
    Half term 1 - getting to know the learners, setting boundaries and learning names!
    Half term 2 - teachers-lag!

2. I found the second term to be much worse than the first. Even in the run up to Christmas I was still high on the energy of BEING A TEACHER! When it came to the second term the workload hit me. Miserable weather, nothing 'fun' to look forward to like christmas and halloween and bright lights, and long half terms followed by an annoyingly christian festival. Can't really have a holiday in the easter break because it's neither warm enough for a 'summer' holiday nor cold enough for a christmas wonderland, so I end up either staying at home or dripping in a foreign city that's entertaining enough but pouring with rain. Coursework/Controlled Assessment panic begins to kick in, as well as the realisation of "OH GOD! My 11s have their final exam in two months! AHHHH!"

Considering also that I almost failed my NQT year, that second term was the hardest four months of my life, and I suspect it always will be when I look back.

3. I am finding this term hard from a physical point of view. My classes are starting to settle and work really well with me (for the most part!) but I am run down and very tired. I've been hit by a 'flu virus and like an idiot only took one day off rather than the 2 or 3 I needed. I effectively got frogmarched out of the building by my DHT yesterday breakdown. The only reason I came in today is because it's our saint's feast day and we have mass and activities so no formal lessons. INSET on Monday (thank goodness!).

Only 4 weeks until Christmas and then 3 weeks off - almost!