1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting them to slow down...!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MisterFlibble, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Some things I've tried with tutoring kids for whom half their problem is that they go too fast with things:
    Give a different colour pencil and invite them to be the teacher on their own work - for some reason only known to the inner workings of the mind of an 8 year old, they actually find things to correct and improve if they've got a different colour pencil in their hands!
    I've also been known to do "points" for sentences - so a point for correct punctuation, a point for an appropriately used adjective, 2 points for it making sense/using a drop-in clause etc (whatever you're focusing on really) and getting them to find their highest-scoring sentences - again with the child I was using this with it was cynically exploiting their competitive streak to get them to actually read and review what had been written. When I've asked him if he wants me to mark it now and keep that score or if he wants to go away and see if he can get a better score - funnily he always wants to go for the high-score if I use this tactic!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Some good ideas there, what age was this child? The one in my post is only 6 years old and i'm not sure he'd know what an adjective was to look for one even if he'd put one in!?

3. Sorry to butt in, but these are great suggestions, thanks. I have a Y3 class and several of the higher-achieving boys (none of the girls, funnily enough) absolutely RACE through their work because they want to be the first to come to me and announce: 'Miss X, I've finished!' in an unecessarily loud voice! [​IMG] I've talked about how often the person who finishes last produces the highest-quality of work, tried explaining 'You have 15 whole minutes to do this, so I expect high-quality work', tried giving rewards to the slow, careful workers, but these lads aren't interested. It's clearly a performance-oriented motivational style and I suppose, sad as it seems, the best way to make it work is going to be to channel it and make them compete with themselves. Thanks again x