1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting the work/life balance right

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cupofteacher, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

...something I really struggle with, and as I am sat here, I really cannot see how I am going to make it through to the end of the term, I'm exhausted mentally and physically.

Any advice on how you make sure your work/life balance is somewhat balanced?

2. Hi,

Some strategies that may help!

Plan work around social activities.
    Plan everything in a diary and cross time off when you have a break.
    Aim to only work 3 evenings a week - not on Friday evenings!
    Try and have Saturday off and work on a Sunday.
    Prioritise everything and make lists.
    If you can't do anything about it, don't spend time worrying about it.
    Make sure you get plenty of sleep.
    Eat well.

Organisation is the key, you can do this but you do need time out otherwise you will spontaneously combust!

Hope this helps,
    Jaime

3. Hey! Time management is really important and it is different for everyone depending on your responsibilities. I don't have any children so my priorities are different. I work everyday from 7:30- 6pm at school except for Fridays when I leave at 5 but I then do no work at home in the evenings or weekends unless it is during the school holidays then I dedicate one full day but that's it.
    I get round this by doing work before school such as app then I mark and set up for the following day in the evenings during my ppa I plan for literacy and creating marking stickers and resources, my year partner plans maths and does the marking stickers and resources for the week so one night (usually a Thursday) I will look through her planning and change as appropriate. I also work through my morning break doing some marking and during lunch i take 20mins to myself and use the other 40mins for marking.
    I feel this works for me and leaves my evenings free for the gym (my stress relief) and the weekends free for my social life. I hope this gives you some idea of how I handle my time

:)

4. oni44

oni44 New commenter

Thanks teacherlynn, I found this very useful.