1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting the best salary

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ET67, Dec 14, 2019.

1. ET67

ET67 New commenter

I am a Science teacher who has been working as an AP Chemistry teacher in the USA for 3 years. My wife is a Drama teacher. We both want to go home to the UK. We have job offers on the table from schools. An agency in London has set up the jobs. They will take a large finders fee. The said agency is now asking what our salary expectations are so they can negotiate with the schools.

I have always negotiated myself - for all positions from an MPS 6 to UPS 3 to management. Should I be civil to the agency and just say that we will get the best deal for ourselves? I have zero confidence in the skills and capabilities of the agency.

We would greatly appreciate your guidance.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

If the agency has found the jobs, the schools must be dealing with the agency therefore negotiations will have to be through them.
    Tell them what you're expecting to earn and let them get it for you or let the school tell them they won't pay and negotiate a lower salary which you can then accept or reject.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Correct.
    Having had the agency introduce you, the school are not actually allowed to talk money with you.
    If you really want to hold the reins salary wise maybe the best thing to do is to think of these posts as springboards into something permanent and on your terms, which you can source once you are back here.
    Who knows anyway if you will actually gel with the work the agency have sourced-presumably from over the pond you will not have visited the school, felt the ethos, seen the staff, experienced the children?
    The chances of all of these things clicking by chance in a place which has been sourced by a third party are restricted. Take what is dealt by the school and the agency-they negotiate for a living-and see it as an entry pass into a comfortable transition back home. Focus first of all on sowing the seeds for a good reference, should you want to move on quickly

What you can do from where you are sitting is imply to the agency that you are not relying on what they have found you. If they feel that you are in demand, ie considering offers through other agencies too, they can be very good at securing something yet more lucrative. You don't have to lie, just portray yourself as having more choice in the matter than makes them complacent.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd stay in the US if I were you.

5. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Just a word of caution- check out these schools, check that they are decent. I’ve seen Canadian teachers shoehorned into some truly trash UK schools, through agencies.
    Re agency- refuse to compromise. Only take a salary you are happy woth.

6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I agree with Peakster. Some schools here are awful places to work. Read the forums.

install, Laphroig and Curae like this.
  7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Work out the minimum you would accept, then give those figures a hefty uplift and tell the agency that would be your expectation - see what comes back.

ET67, Curae and agathamorse like this.
  8. ET67

ET67 New commenter

Thanks for replies. Some really good things pointed out - some Canucks I know have been used and abused in UK schools which are like quagmires. The school where I have been offered work is in a very affluent area which I know well. Ok then we will tell the agency what we expect financially. How dire are school finances at home nowadays? I have been pursued by several other schools TBH. Do you think I could make a pitch for like UPS 3 at least?
    LOL

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

But you trust them enough to find suitable posts for you? The agency are just that - your agents. Either trust them or forget them.

Anyway, as you're a Science teacher I suspect you may have the stronger bargaining hand than your Drama teaching wife, simply due to the pecking order of subjects in state schools, assuming that's where you're considering. If you're looking at the private sector then frankly anything goes, although generally speaking they like to see relevant qualifications in the subjects they believe to be important to parents. Again, Science may have the upper hand.

The school may do some sums regarding the finder's fee and try to offer you a lower salary to offset it. Hold out for what you can. Last time I transferred from an agency supply teacher to direct employment by the school they took the finder's fee into account and still found it to be the cheaper option long term.

10. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

This post seem a little strange to me. Why would the agency charge the school a finder's. Fee. The OP is not currently at the school, working for the agency. Not too sure whether you can go straight to UPS 3.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Recruitment agency? Presumably they charge a fee for finding staff.

ET67, Piranha and sabrinakat like this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A school can decide to put you straight onto the UPR, and can then pay anything they like within that range. Whether a school would be prepared to pay that to somebody who has been out of the UK system for three years is another matter, but that is what the negotiation is about.

To be honest, I don't understand why negotiation can't be direct. In my pre-teaching days, I found work via an agency, who received a finder's fee, but I still negotiated my own pay.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  13. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

It depends which role they've offered you. You won't get ups 3 without significant responsibility. When you say "at least" it confuses me as this is the highest you can get without being on the leadership scale. If you have applied for a teaching role, you couldn't get paid more than ups3.

14. ET67

ET67 New commenter

I intended to type UPS 1 at least. (Duh me lol) All of my work history has been in Independent schools and the school I am talking about is one too.

Thanks again everyone: good to talk about this matter :D

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

So do you know they use the STPCD scales, along with the old UPS1-3 points? I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to name your price, in hard cash terms.

ET67 likes this.
  16. ET67

ET67 New commenter

Thanks Piranha. Good moniker. hehe. I looked at the STPCD scales just now. You guys have been a great source of support.

17. install

install Star commenter

Science teachers are in high demand in the UK. Drama will be tougher.

In my experience, agencies usually - but not always - find jobs for schools that may have difficulty recruiting or have unusual contracts eg different pay spine; longer hours; different holidays. So be very very careful. On top of that you will know that London is a big, busy and crowded city. Have you previously worked and lived in London?

Have you considered looking yourselves? Do you have contacts? Are you considering academies, state, private, free or something else? Have you considered accommodation and travel ?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.