1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting the balance right in nursery...help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lmmills, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I have just started teaching in a Nursery class within a primary school. At present we have a whole class carpet session each day with either a literacy or numeracy focus for about 15 mins. This is followed by a focus group activity related to the carpet session. Over the course of the week each child ends up carrying out a both a literacy and numeracy focused activity with an adult.
    Is this reasonable??
    I am tying myself up in knots thinking about whether I should carry out the teaching element in smaller groups, if there should even be a 'teaching' element at all, or if I should just carry out focused activities rather than have carpet sessions at all.
    Please help! What do other people in school nurseries do?

2. I have just started teaching in a Nursery class within a primary school. At present we have a whole class carpet session each day with either a literacy or numeracy focus for about 15 mins. This is followed by a focus group activity related to the carpet session. Over the course of the week each child ends up carrying out a both a literacy and numeracy focused activity with an adult.
    Is this reasonable??
    I am tying myself up in knots thinking about whether I should carry out the teaching element in smaller groups, if there should even be a 'teaching' element at all, or if I should just carry out focused activities rather than have carpet sessions at all.
    Please help! What do other people in school nurseries do?

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I think there are so many different ways of running a Nursery Class and you need to think what is best for your children. I am not sure whether you meant just one group works in the focus group each day and the rest are accessing all areas for child initiated learning or whether everyone does group work.My children at the moment have been in just since September and we have carpet time at 9.30 after an initial semi CI time where they don't access all areas just most. By the time we have counted children done our days of the week song and talked about the weather they have just about had enough and wouldn't normally want to sit much longer. This does in fact cover PSRN as we count and do Days etc.However depending on how interactive it is they can sometimes perhaps manage 15 mins as we do a Sound of the Week once a week and they watch how to write it on the IWB and write it in the air etc, they are also keen to see what is in the sound box. We sometimes have a brief chat for about 5 minutes topic related . After that we will work with 2 small groups but not really connected to the carpet session as it tends to work better chatting in the small group. This activity can cover any of the 6 areas and lasts about 10 mins. the rest of the class 'work' independently and will do the group activity another day.
    We are then free flow in and out after group has finished for about an hour and a quarter. Other nurseries you will find are more or less free flow . It depends on facilities and staffing and your children

4. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I am based in a very formal nursery setting!
    Basically as the children enter nursery they will come in and sit at the tables and practise writing their name (I will complete the register in this time so the children do not sit through it - I use the self registration to do this as our proper register is done online). We then move to the carpet where we count the number of children, days of the week song, and complete the date and weather board. Once those tasks are done, we will have a short CLL input session and they will usually be seated for 10 minutes.
    I have a target group which consists of those children who we have concerns about in terms of SEN and there are 10 of them who will complete 1:1 work with the TA everyday. The other 16 children are grouped and I will work with one group at a time for each session so we aim for all children to have completed a CLL and a PSRN task a week. While children are working 1:1 with an adult, the other children are doing child initiated play - my only issue is there is no one to support for this and I am beginning for an additional adult!
    In the afternoon we will do our 'letters of the week' for a 5 minutes a day. In my school we have to cover RE once a week but the other afternoon sessions will be linked to exploring our topic through a variety of different activities; CIP or small groups depending on the task.
    So we're on pretty the same lines with regards to children completing one CLL and PSRN task a week, apart from my target group but their task varies - it might just be additional singing of number rhymes, counting in different ways, ICT games, shape or number hunts etc.

5. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

My Nursery children are full time too.
    They come straight into Key group in the morning where thy sign in on their own whiteboards fro self registration. We then do morning prayer, days of week etc.
    The chidlren then all take part in a short, practical letters and sounds session in their small key groups ( approx 10 per group).
    Chidren then access the continuous provision indoors. 2 adults are doing focusses small group activities linked to any of the 6 areas and 2 adults are supporting play in the room. We then stop for snack at 10.00, in key groups for a short story session also. Children then go back to indoor and outdoor CI play, whilst adults continue to do fucussed.

After lunch, we have a short and snappy number time. We have a focus for the week whether this be counting to 5, shapes ect. All children access group time number time whish is built up throughout the week. The afternoon session then runs as CI play with again 2 adults on focus, 2 supporting play.
    Thiss works very well in my setting. I plan for AT LEAST 1 CLL and 1 PSRN focussed activity a week, but also focussed activites linked to other areas too. we could be carrying out an ivestigation (KUW) or creating a peice of art ( CD) or doing role play about acting out our feeling (PSED) so most weeks, children will do a focussed acitivty relating to all 6 areas, however big or small these may be.
    My SEN children are taking out of class for interventions throughout the week with eaither myself or 1 of my TA's for addition 1-1 input.
    Hope this all makes sense. BUt as previous posts say- it is about what wors best for you and your children. I dont think there is a right and wring way of doing it. As long as your chidlren are settled, happy, having fun and making progess your doing the right thing!