1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting that job abroad ...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Feb 8, 2012.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
    Hi All,

As we are all aware the situation in the UK is pretty dire
    especially if you’re an expensive, experienced teacher. (Really feel shafted by
    the unions over supply and cover support etc. - they have killed the profession)
    anyway. I am looking abroad for what would be my third stint teaching abroad,
    always ended up back in blighty but feel like rolling the dice another time and
    having another adventure. So my question is where are the best places to find
    those jobs abroad, with a leaning towards HK as this is my number one choice.

Thanks in advance.

2. mrjack

Apologies for the start of that post!

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Why is it your third stint?How long was each stint?
    Why did you always endup back in blighty? Did you not like teaching abroad?

but feel like rolling the dice another time and having another adventure. So my question is where are the best places to find those jobs abroad, with a leaning towards HK as this is my number one choice
    Are you intending to go overseas to actually teach or is it for the blast?

Might sound a bit harsh but I personally would be slightly suspicious of these comments!

4. I've been happy with Search, a friend of mine is very happy with ISS. I found CoIS horrifically disorganized, to the point I am sorry I ever asked them to receive any confidential references since they lost them over and over. I have heard that ISS has taken over organizing for them, maybe someone else can speak to the truth of this.
    But a good agency can help significantly. And they keep everything on file, so you just have to "refresh" if you decide to move on again.

5. mrjack

Thnks for the comments. I have been in contiuous employment for the last 5 years in the same school. My CV makes no mention of the stint in KL in which I broke contract, along with another teacher because we were sick of not being paid on time and having a week of our holidays taken off us to go on a training course when we were supposed to be on holiday! My CV does have blanks in there but Ihave travelled extensivley visiting forty odd countries and I would not change that for all the tea in china :)