1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting teaching work with QTLS status and no PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cuyocksol, Mar 11, 2012.

1. As an experienced teacher in the FE sector (of English
    (ESOL), ICT and PSD – mostly to 16 – 18 year-olds), I have QTLS status
    (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills). For some time I have had the goal of
    becoming a Primary school teacher, and have been gaining experience as a
    voluntary TA in my child’s school one afternoon a week. I have been trying to
    get on to a GTP scheme for this September, but so far without success. I would not
    really be able to afford another PGCE route, even with bursary.

I know that a few months ago “1 April” was mooted as the date
    when QTLS would be officially recognised as equivalent to QTS in allowing
    teachers to be employed in school. I spoke to someone on the TDA helpline about
    my GTP application woes and he basically said “Don’t worry, you won’t need a
    PGCE if you have QTLS. You’ll be able to get a job in school anyway. Maybe
    start doing supply.” But I find it hard to imagine any primary school employing
    me without any specific training related to the primary sector (and only
    limited experience as TA so far).

I’d appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks

2. As an experienced teacher in the FE sector (of English
    (ESOL), ICT and PSD – mostly to 16 – 18 year-olds), I have QTLS status
    (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills). For some time I have had the goal of
    becoming a Primary school teacher, and have been gaining experience as a
    voluntary TA in my child’s school one afternoon a week. I have been trying to
    get on to a GTP scheme for this September, but so far without success. I would not
    really be able to afford another PGCE route, even with bursary.

I know that a few months ago “1 April” was mooted as the date
    when QTLS would be officially recognised as equivalent to QTS in allowing
    teachers to be employed in school. I spoke to someone on the TDA helpline about
    my GTP application woes and he basically said “Don’t worry, you won’t need a
    PGCE if you have QTLS. You’ll be able to get a job in school anyway. Maybe
    start doing supply.” But I find it hard to imagine any primary school employing
    me without any specific training related to the primary sector (and only
    limited experience as TA so far).

I’d appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'd definitely suggest getting some experience in a primary school - perhaps doing supply, though you may have issues with agencies taking you on without QTS (I'm not sure about this tbh). I think you will struggle to get a job as a primary teacher without QTS and experience in primary schools tbh, there are up to 200 people going for every job at the moment, and I expect the other 199 will have QTS, most of them through a primary route, and will have experience teaching primary ages. I expect you may struggle to get an interview because with all those applications in front of them the first thing a head will do is disregard someone without the correct qualification. If you've done supply it may be different, I don't know.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I consider myself lucky to have started a primary teaching job in the January after finishing my PGCE, having got an "outstanding" grade on my primary PGCE and excellent references, as well as relevent experience before my PGCE. I applied for 30 jobs and had 2 interviews before getting the job on the 3rd one (and had 2 more lined up after that). Many experience teachers are struggling to get jobs too. I think you may struggle to get a look in.

4. What if I was a full-time (paid) TA for a year. After that do you think a school might consider that good enough experience to be able to teach (without the PGCE)? Assuming of course that QTLS does indeed gain parity.
    (Of course I'm assuming (optimistically) that I would be able to get a FT TA job without having a formal TA qual...)
    Or any other suggestions?

5. You would be very lucky to get any full time TA job at the moment with or without qualifications.

6. because i don't have much voluntary TA experience to date, or because of a lack of vacancies?