1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting stressed about not being shortlisted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by greeneyes, Mar 27, 2019.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I've been teaching for 15 years and am currently on a maternity cover until next year. I have had permanent jobs in the past but made some choices that have resulted in me being on supply for the last few years.

I have been applying for various posts (middle leadership and mainscale) and this is the first year since I started supply that I have never been shortlisted. I'm currently working at M6 but actually would be UPS2.

I have had an assistant head read through my application form, changed it accordingly and not sure what else I'm meant to do. Is it budgets or am I just that rubbish? I am genuinely surprised that I haven't had a sniff of an interview.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Sometimes I think there's additional unwritten criteria that schools have that are the 'getting a feeling' from the application types. I've not been shortlisted for jobs that I've ticked everything in the essential and desirable. Friends and colleagues have had similar experiences.

I think it's hard, but you've got to pick yourself up and keep going.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

The school wasn’t actually looking, they had an internal candidate.
    They made their decision early, based on the first CV to arrive.
    They actually wanted an NQT but didn’t say that.
    Your face just didn’t fit - something in your CV didn’t click with SLT.
    They were in undated with candidates that had more suitable experience.

If you don’t have any feedback from the school, pick one of the above and move on.

If you do get feedback, think about it seriously - and then move on.

agathamorse likes this.