1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by anon1269, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I am retiring in the Summer after 30 years as a Maths teacher. I would like to do a few hours a week Private Tuition mainly GCSE but up to A Level as well. I am a former Head of Department and have experience as an examiner. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the following
    1. Where should I advertise? Is it worthwhile registering with an agency?
    2. How much is it reasonable to charge?
    3. Is demand for Maths still as high as when I last did tuition 15 years ago?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

2. I am retiring in the Summer after 30 years as a Maths teacher. I would like to do a few hours a week Private Tuition mainly GCSE but up to A Level as well. I am a former Head of Department and have experience as an examiner. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the following
    1. Where should I advertise? Is it worthwhile registering with an agency?
    2. How much is it reasonable to charge?
    3. Is demand for Maths still as high as when I last did tuition 15 years ago?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

3. Hi there!
    Congratulations on your retirement - it sounds like you've got a lot of successful experience behind you!
    I started by registering on a website called 'first tutors'. I know there are also other sites available but this brought plenty of interest in for me. (I wanted no more than 5)
    I also started at a low price in order to be competitive - but then I have a lot less experience than you. The going rate in my area is approx £20 ph but this will vary depending on your area and the level of students you are wanting to teach. If you register on FT then you can browse other tutors in your area to give you a better insight.
    I haven't registered with an agency, but bear in mind that this means you'd be classed as self employed and will need to register as such (you don't have to pay NI or tax if you earn less than the low earnings threshold).
    In terms of demand - I'm certainly having no problems - in fact I have too many, and there was someone else on here saying they were having to turn students down the other week.

All the very best with your retirement - and the tutoring! [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to post. You put some lead in my proverbial pencil!

5. You may also wish to take a look at Home Tutors Directory tutor guide -
    www.hometutorsdirectory.co.uk/TutorGuide.html
    for answers to questions regarding the options open to you regarding private tuition advertising. The guide also lists general prices of what to charge as a private tutor.
    With regards to the demand for Maths private tuition, it is increasing. When I began tutoring full time nearly fourteen years ago, I tutored Maths & Science GCSE and A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
    However after only a couple of years I had built up enough clients to concentrate on my speciality of A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
    Even though I stopped tutoring GCSE Maths and Science several years ago, I still get calls from clients for Maths tuition and current students asking if I know of any Maths tutors.

With the level of your expertise and experience, I doubt that you will have any problem finding potential clients, whether you market yourself by advertising as a private tutor independently or obtaining private tuition leads through a tutoring agency.

You may also wish to take a look at this post, which has links to some other really good threads, posted by TES members.Whilst some are fairly old, they are very helpful and will hopefully help you in your new venture

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/411023/5649264.aspx#5649264
    Very best of luck and I wish you a happy retirement. [​IMG]