1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting started

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sharwyn, May 30, 2009.

1. My husband has resigned his job so that he can be a stay at home dad in September, when I return to work. We really need to supplement my income and thought that evening tutoring would be a good way to do this.
    He is a secondary maths teacher with over 10 years experience and was thinking of charging £25 per hour for tutoring in the child's home. Does this sound reasonable?
    Also, when should he started advertising for students? Should he try for September, or is closer to exam time better?
    Ideally he is only hoping for 2-3 hours per week.

2. A tip from me - advertising at the start of the summer holidays might be profitable, as I have known parents looking for holiday revision sessions, or the odd lesson to keep things ticking over during the long break, or a refresher lesson in late August to get the child off to a confident start in September. And doing it this way, you'd be up and running with clients to recommend you by the start of the school year. Of course it does mean working during part of your summer hols, though ....

3. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

A tip from me: make sure you research the income tax & NIC rules carefully before you start. The TutorGuide (post #3) suggests you contact HMRC - they have booklets & information on their website. If you don't keep detailed accounts and meet every deadline (eg notifying HMRC of your new self-employed status within 3 months of starting to tutor), then you are charged penalties.

4. And keep track of all your expenses (fuel, printer ink, stationery, books etc) as you can claim tax relief on these items when you submit your tax return.

I've also got a database set up to record details of every session I deliver. It helps me to keep track of how I'm doing.

5. I think this is a reasonable amount per hour and is about the average charge for that area. I use www.LessonPark.com to try to attract students in addition to others - free registration and quick to register. Hope that helps