1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting started teaching in Asia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by KirstyColdwell, Mar 8, 2018.

1. KirstyColdwell

KirstyColdwell New commenter

Hi,
    I am a primary school teacher from England with a bachelors degree in primary education, 2 years of teaching in a public primary school and English as my native tongue.

I would love to teach in Asia and would just like some more information and advice before I begin my search. Firstly, would I be a suitable candidate? I would only wish to teach children under the age of 11, is there high enough demand for my generalist skills?

Is it possible to apply directly to international schools or do you need to go through a registered company or recruitment agent? With regards to an independent application is there actually much chance of being recruited or would locals or ore experienced teachers be a priority?

With regards to visas do schools sort this out for you or is that something you need to arrange prior to applying/ commencing work? Is it easier to apply when already in the country? Are some countries easier to acquire visas in or have special teachers visas?

Will schools be likely to only employ you for a one- two year contract or can you apply to do sorter terms 3-6months or relief work?

Lastly, are there particular benefits to working in some countries or within some independent school Jains or clusters as opposed to others in terms of treatment of teachers, expectations of progress or international recognition when making future applications?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions and I hope you can help me to answer and begin my journey!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Kirsty,

We all have to start somewhere and once upon a time we were all new to this TES forum. I hope that you will find what you are looking for and I have sent you a TES Conversation thing.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hi. Certification and two years experience is the minimum that most schools will be looking for (better schools will generally want more). Primary teachers are quite plentiful but then so are primary positions so you certainly have a good chance to find something, if you are flexible about location for your first post. If you find something and put in a few years of successful int'l experience then you can generally trade up location and/or school.

You can feel free to apply directly to most schools. Many schools will have a particular agency that they have agreements with but most will accept applications regardless. When in doubt, check out the school's website under recruitment/careers, etc. and follow the instructions provided.

Visas will vary quite a bit by school, country, etc. In most cases (especially with a decent to great school), the school will sort out/pay for the visa. In some countries you must initiate part of the process on your end. Most of the Asian countries are fairly straightforward with visas and teachers are generally covered under some type of professional working visa. Generally, you are far better off being hired while NOT living in the country where the school is located since many schools would then consider you a local hire and may not offer housing, travel benefits, etc.

The vast majority of schools will offer (and require) two year contracts (often with a renewal option of a year). A smaller number will offer one or three year contracts. A very small number will look for short term teachers as it is generally not worth schools time and investment to recruit teachers for that short a period of time (and recruitment/turnover is often one of the biggest expenses/hassles for overseas schools.

The quality of schools, packages and working experiences will vary wildly (as will your experience from city/country to city/country. We are not allowed to name schools here. You might want to check out the free "other" forum offered by International Schools Review (and maybe pay the membership fee for reviews and the paid forum) where they name names, talk about packages, tiers of schools, etc.

Good luck!