1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting signed off work question. Advice please

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bethybug878, Jul 9, 2017.

1. bethybug878

bethybug878 New commenter

Hi there
    I am on a temp contract that states the end of my contract is August 31st 2017. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and really struggling. I work three days a week and my question is this: If I get signed off for the last 2 weeks (6 working days) of this term, will I still get paid my usual pay for July and August?
    Thank you in advance

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Yes* until 36 weeks, but you might need to give them some evidence of you being fit to return before 36 weeks, as if you are still off with pregnancy-related illness at 36 weeks then maternity leave starts. I would ask them whether they will need such evidence and how you should get it to them.
    If the baby turns up in August, maternity leave starts then. (This actually got missed in my case: as I was not eligible for any maternity pay from my temporary post, and I was getting maternity pay from another job, I'd never done any maternity paperwork in the school.)

*assuming you haven't exhausted whatever entitlement to sick pay you have.

bethybug878 likes this.
  3. bethybug878

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm not going to get maternity leave so I'm not worried about this (I'm getting maternity allowance instead). All I'm worried about is not being paid at the end of August if I am off ill for the last two weeks of term. I've googled it so much and it's just confusing me to be honest! So you think I will still get paid at the end of August? I haven't had a day off sick since I started after Easter. Thank you.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think:

If you are still signed off at the end of term and they have no evidence of your fitness to return by 36 weeks, I think you would remain on sick pay until then, and then be put on to maternity leave (so no pay, but you could presumably start claiming maternity allowance). This assumes that they know that the sickness is maternity-related and that they realise you've got to 36 weeks - which might depend on how on the ball they are - if they don't realise, you might just stay on sick pay.
    If you provide a fit note saying you are fit to return, I think you will return to normal pay until 31st August or the baby arrives, whichever is earlier.
    If the baby arrives, I think they are entitled to stop paying you at that point, but it might not happen.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

(Your union might be able to give you chapter and verse on all this.)

6. bethybug878

Ok thank you so much.