1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting seriously stressed by SAT's! Any suggestions welcome!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Mar 31, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds like you will be fine. It is normal to worry and panic, but it doesn't achieve anything.

What you plan to do sounds just fine. We don't do a past paper as such on Friday, but do do Big Writing which isn't very different.

Do practise the short writing as well.

2. Please remember you have only had them for less than two terms and the test is on what they have learned since yr 2 - that is 3 whole years with other teachers!!! It is not on what you can teach them in the last few weeks! And keep reminding your colleagues of this, too!! They have to take responsibility for results, if they are poor!
    Step back a bit!
    And it sounds to me like you need to do more oral stuff. Do a few lessons when you get them to write something then work with a partner and the partner reads their work back to them. Hopefully that might ram it home that it has to make sense to the reader!
    Get them to say their 'writing' out loud instead of writing it on paper, and to reform sentences, again orally. speak it into microphones and then write what they play back, correcting if necessary. Then read aloud from paper.
    Commasand drop-in clauses should have been concrete by most children by yr 5 - they are not hard to do, especially if the oral work has been done. Don't wase time on apostrophes - they aren;tgoing to count for much if used correctly or incorrectly. Try and get at least one sentence in every piece to start with a subordinate clause. Give a list of key features to include if possible and make them learn it.
    And now re-read my opening paragraph!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOL I sooo wish that was true with my class.

I inherited a year 6 class where 2/3s were unable (not unwilling, actually unable) to use full stops or capital letters correctly. The handwriting of about 1/2 was totally illegible, to the extent that they often couldn't read it either. Those who had legible writing were so poor at spelling that I still couldn't actually work out what they were writing.

Commas and drop in clauses are what we have been working on for about the last 3 weeks, for the first time.

Oh and no I don't work in a special school, nor are we dreadfully low attaining generally. Just this class had the same teacher in year 4 and 5 and she is hopeless! The year 5 class I had last year and handed over to my partner teacher did pretty much have commas sorted at the end of year 5! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

4. Me too! I just keep plodding away and hoping for the best I think at this point it's all we can do! (That and revision, revision, revision whilst trying not to overload and stress the kids! arrrr)