1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elbriody, Dec 3, 2015.

1. elbriody

elbriody New commenter

I had a book scrutiny recently at my new job and it turned out my writing books were deemed inadequate due to "lack of written evidence" . I am gutted. I have never had a school be so pernickety over the childrens work books. I follow the marking policy and quality mark cold writes and hot write, but they expect EVERYTHING the children write to be in the books, including science and foundation subjects and SPaG. The school is in notice to improve and I understand that the books need to be improved but seriously they are so anal about it being perfect and a good progress picture for ofsted to see. I feel like i am failing here. They only want childrens work on the right side pages aswell so quality marking and childrens feedback can go on the left side. I feel this is so unnecessary and such a waste of paper.. But the deputy is very precise and rather harsh to be honest. Any comments of support would be appreciated. Ive never known anything like it in all my 17 years teaching.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Change your school?

cassandramark2 likes this.
  3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Get out fast- before you start to accept the madness as normal...

4. ERU

ERU New commenter

I'd be questioning 'how' the school leadership let this happen in the first place. The sad fact is that if you don't do it (i.e. be badly led) - they will find someone, an NQT perhaps, who will.

Jeremyinspain likes this.
  5. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

Ask to see exemplary marking.
    Perhaps the workbooks of the children the DHT teaches?

6. rachfan

rachfan New commenter

I am afraid that this madness is sweeping the country. I have just returned to teaching after many years of successful and happy educating, where one was trusted to do a good job. And we did! I taught children who went on to be scientists, advanced mathematicians and Surgeons. Now, we are in for scrutinies of all kinds and I am seriously considering leaving for good and living off beans on toast. Nothing is ever good enough and I am beginning to believe that it is all a ploy to 'break' people. It is nothing short of bullying and abuse. The reality is that standards are dreadful. Kids writing is awful, behaviour apalling and no one takes child development into consideration so 5 year olds are expected to do something that I would have struggled to do at 11 years old. If they can't do it, we get it in the neck.
    I have never in my 36 years as a successful teacher, experienced such ridiculous and nonsensicle clap trap.
    It is no good changing schools. Leave the profession.

dotty63 likes this.
  7. rachfan

rachfan New commenter

True!

8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It's fear that drive this nonsense.

Fear of OFSTED.

download-18.jpg

dotty63 likes this.