1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by iamclarissa, Oct 18, 2018.

1. iamclarissa

iamclarissa New commenter

Hello Everyone

My college has just informed me that they are delivering Musical Theatre Double BTEC with Dance And Extended Musical Theatre BTEC as well as Extended Dance but if I can’t get my numbers up, I have 38 overall that they will have to drop Dance. I have been suffering from Spondylosis for 3 years in my spine which is getting worse although I am always at work.
    If they drop Dance that means I will be made part time in my final year Sept 2019 before I retire.
    Does anyone know what my rights would be as I am full time and have been teaching in my college for 19 years? Obviously I don’t want to go part time in my final year. What are my options?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Ask HR for a copy of their policy regarding part time staff, and also contact your Union for advice.

You have a condition which I suspect may be protected under Disability Discrimination - talk to your Union.

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Identify what exactly is/are the greatest issue or issues i.e.
    a. getting less money
    b. getting less money and it affecting your pension
    c. going part time
    d. remaining full time and being forced into teaching a subject you are not comfortable with

Or all of it.

For me, my biggest concern would be the implications of my pension being affected and that is something you really have to protect. As well as contacting your union, as advised above, get in touch with TPS to see what the implications of going part time in your final year will be and

Good luck

Hoping it all works out for you. :)

agathamorse likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They probably can't just "make you part-time" - unless you volunteered for this, they would need to go down the route of declaring a redundancy, and follow all the necessary procedures.

There is a "premature retirement" scheme where the employer can grant you early retirement and pay the difference between what your pension pays out and what it would have paid out if you continue to retirement age - I don't know whether they can do something similar in terms of compensating you for going part-time just for that last year.

agathamorse likes this.