1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of mice in the house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to have a rodent problem - in a couple of places I have lived - (mostly mice - but I'm fairly certain a rat or three was involved back in Crudsville!)
    In my expoerience you rarely have a 'mouse' to get rid of...it is more than likely 'mice' and if you don't see to it quickly it becomes more mice!
    Spring traps are cruel and I would never, ever use one. The tip-trap is more humane - but mice can die of fright in them. If you succeed in catching one, you can't simply let it go outside - they come back! You need to take them a good way away.
    Make sure the trap is situated sensibly - mice are clever little b*ggers and learn to knock them over to be able to get the treat. Place them against a wall. Buy two or three different models so that there is less chance of the mouse learning how to trip them all safely!
    Sadly, if you have more than one mouse and can't catch it quickly, then you might need to contact some form of rodent control - and that will mean poison and killing the mice.

2. Get a cat? Not the cruelty-free option, I know...
    Apparently just having a cat in the house reduces the number of mice in each litter (and the number of litters per year).
    Honestly, there won't be just one mouse. By the time you've come to realise there's one there will be many!

3. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

Poison is a disastrous idea, it gets into the food chain & can end up killing pets, wild birds, foxes etc. Furthermore, mice & rats are too smart to eat poison usually so its a bad idea. Persevere with the humane traps & make sure that you leave no food lying about, don't feed the birds, sweep up crumbs, make sure every item of food is in a sealed container, no boxes, bags. The best & most simple way to rid yourself of mice is to take away their food supply, then they will have no choice but to move on. This method also works for rats, my friend was bothered by a rat and to move him on she put her fat balls for the birds in a metal container & stopped using the bird feeder.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Borrow next doors' cat or get a trip-trap and release it some way away. Seal up any holes they may get in, we found field mice were getting in where the washing machine outlet was.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

There is only one option that works;

[​IMG]

6. We have used the "humane" traps very sucessfully. As long as you remember to check it everyday, then release any caught mice immediately!
    Mice seem to like chocolate so may be tempted into a trap with chocolate in it...

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

if you release a mouse withing 100yrd/m of the home it will return......if you have time to walk/drive/run a big distance to release more vermin well thats up to you.

8. I second this. Last year (or perhaps year before, time flies) I had a mouse problem. I believe I caught 5 or 6 in all over a month or two (in humane traps) and let them go (apart from the one the cat caught which I tried to save but sadly she killed it poor little ***. They'd been coming in from a neighbouring flat but I didn't realise this until I knocked on each flat to ask had they had similar issues and the batty woman next door said 'Oh yes, had them months - didn't think to call the council' grrr!

Anyhow, I was given a few of these plug in things and almost immediately the problem stopped. Could be a coincidence of course but I ahven't seen a single mouse since and I keep a trap on the go just in case. The only thing I'd say about humane traps by the way is check it everyday because as has been said by others, the mouse can suffocate or panic and die (happened to my Dad when he caught one) and there's nothing worse than thinking you caught the blighter humanely and finding that actually you killed it.

9. The stars should say b.ugger - nothing rude¬!

10. I had mice over Christmas.
    I really didn'twant to use a traditional trap but...... The noise and pulse emitting plug in deterrent was that effective that the mice were actually walking over it and sitting around it.
    I had no other way but to use the traditional way as I was concerned about an infestation happening rather than the few that it could be. Mice reproduce very very quickly and I had to get the problem dealt with. It was a horrible couple of nights but it is over and there is no problem.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

My condolences.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think I might start setting man traps for anyone trying to humanely release mice within 500 yards of where my camper's parked. Believe me the very last thing you want making a nest from the wiring loom of your vehicle is a bloody rodent. They can climb up the tyres and into the engine compartment in a flash. The damage could cost a fortune to repair and make the vehicle dangerous to drive. Likewise you don't want them nibbling on any electrical cables in your house. They can do what they like in the garden (if they can dodge the cat) but I'm not sharing living space with them.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Strange isn't it how people won't have mice in their own house but are happy to export theirs to someone else's area!

14. <font face="Times New Roman">STOP PRESS</font> This morning, George seems quite content, tucked under the newspaper strips, having eaten about half of the cheese.

15. I do hope you divested him of his mobile phone, albert, otherwise you will have all his little mates availing themselves of your hospitality.

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's a b ugger trying to get a mobile phone off a mouse; they put it in their furry little pockets.

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

My mum uses one of those frequency omitting devices. It works perfectly and not only has her mouse gone, but she's barely seen a spider in the house since plugging it in. Bizarre, but a bonus in her view!
    I've heard that the good old-fashioned milk bottle works a treat as the mouse can get in but not out. Presumably however you'd need to drive for miles and then smash the bottle?? [​IMG]
    Oh and they apparently love peanut butter [​IMG]

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If it is a plastic sweet tin then there is a problem but if it is metal then he won't be able to get a signal!

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

blazer, your new avatar is seriously unsettling and creepy [​IMG]

20. Looks a bit like yours.