1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of House Contents

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

So the time has now come for us to sell or get rid of in other ways the entire contents of our four bed house, as we have decided to let our property unfurnished before leaving for China. (It is much harder to rent out as furnished, the agents told me). It's going to be hard work. To replace the items may cost us £15000

What methods are there to do this economically?

Thought of a) selling in ebay and gumtree - it may take months and a lot of patience b) ring up charities and arrange to collect - not sure if they will take all items c) hire skips and chuck out everything d) hire a van with 2 men and take everything to the local re-cycling centre e) hire space in a local self-storage centre and pay rent for two years. f) run several garage sales , but how/ where can I advertise? how long will it take?

Were you in our situation? What did you do? What we really would like to do is to donate everything to people who need them, But how do we connect?

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Rented out our 5 bed and bought a small 2 bed to act as storage and base when we return to UK each summer. Most of our stuff has gone via FaceBook marketplace and numerous trips to the dump. If you price your bits sensibly they will go very quickly on FB marketplace, normally within 24 hours. However you must join the local buying and selling groups, these groups often have thousands of members. That way when you post something for sale you get to reach tens of thousands of people if you share your post in those groups. It's worked for us and we have unloaded tons of stuff from beds to half used tubs of tiling adhesive. Your phone will go mental all day long though and it can be a bit overwhelming to stay on top of all the messages.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Newstein likes this.
  3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Whenever I have moved I have donated to local charities which work with those in need. To be fair, only a two or three times did this include furniture or appliances as I have usually rented at least part-furnished.

You should be able to find (online, yellow pages or local newspapers) details of such organisations and they will come and clear everything for you. Warning - it can be scary how little time it takes to completely remove your 'life' in a place.

4. tyla

tyla New commenter

Use OLIO app if it works in your area. Great way to give away any items. It's an app that started as a way of preventing food waste but they have added non-food items section now. I gave away most of my kitchen stuff when decluttering in three hours.

Newstein likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Newstein likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you have bought lots of nice stuff that you want to keep, then probably the best thing to do, of course, is to make contact with a weird character on the TES Teaching Abroad forum called "the hippo". He will tell you to buy a house in Bulgaria, for a lot less than 15,000 pounds, and then you can keep all of your bits and pieces. You and your family will also have somewhere to live over the summer months. A decent-sized place will mean that your friends and family can also come to stay as well. If you are interested in this option, then send me one of those TES Conversation things.

Newstein, if you try to sell used electrical items and household goods, you will get almost nothing for them (if indeed you can find any buyers). It is now nearly the end of June, so time is running out.

Our country house in Bulgaria (the one on the left) cost us 20,000 pounds. Yes, I know we got ripped off and of course prices are lower these days.

129.jpg

wanderman22, Newstein and Aim4Jannah like this.
  7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

You could stick it all into a local action with no reserve. I bought and sold some things that was as a hobby/side gig when I was a student.

Newstein likes this.
  8. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Auction?

9. the hippo

Yes, you could do that. Maybe it would sell. Or maybe not. Or you could just give it all away to a worthy cause.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Throwing a curve ball... What happens if you don't like China and want to return back to the UK after a year? Why don't you store your belongings and then look to sell once you are settled in China.

cindycavazos16 likes this.
  11. the hippo

Jason_Bourne_ makes a good point. Teaching overseas is not for everyone and China is definitely one of those Marmite things.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Why not TRY and rent it furnished? I suppose it depends how in-demand your area is.... but if you are renting to profesionals or academics who have transferred into the area, perhaps on a short-term basis: they might not want to have to move all their stuff. Are there any multi-nationals/MoD installations/Universities locally you could target? NQTs (who are unlikely to own all their own furniture)? I was renting throughout my twenties, and I always rented furnished properties.

We managed to rent out our house furnished (we did get rid of a few pieces at the request of the tenants - we sold them on gumtree and to friends). But then, we just advertised on facebook and didn't use an agent...

I also sold a lot of stuff through ebay (clothes, kitchen stuff we never used), magpie (CDs/DVDs) and second hand book stores - we made quite a bit in the end. Just make sure the sales (on ebay) all end on the same day and block that day off for packaging/posting/collections, and then it's not too much of a chore.

Good luck!

Newstein and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. 576

576 Established commenter

Please do not throw perfectly good and usable items away.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Ahhh, now you've brought back some bad memories OP.

Sold my UK home last year. Unfortunately the agent was far from good at keeping me in the loop despite my regular emails. Eight weeks before completion I'm asking if the buyer wants to buy my furniture - can we make a deal for it all - or do I need to sell it. Drags on and on before i get an email reply saying i need my home cleared within 2 days in order to complete the sale.

Ended up paying 500 quid to 'clear' the furniture when i should have been collecting 2K for selling it at second hand prices. Would have even given it away to friends and neighbours than let such sharks have it.

One of the downsides of being 'overseas'.

Newstein likes this.
  15. the hippo

I think that Newstein has already investigated the possibility of letting his property furnished and it's a no no. Selling or storing are probably the only two options available and time is running out.

16. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I also cleared out a 4 bed house and garage before moving overseas. I started selling in January and was still going by August! Mostly I used Shpock, but also Freecycle and Ebay. I had a garage sale, donated so many items I could have opened my own charity shop, and spent as much time at the dump as the staff did for there were some things I simply couldn't shift any other way. I sold my car through Evans Halshaw. I had to fill in a form here that asked for my UK address - I simply put 'not applicable', since I don't have one. Our bank account is registered at my parents' home and what little post we have goes there.

Newstein and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

18. chalet_fan

chalet_fan New commenter

Take it with you?

We did and it was lovely to have all our own things around us. When I moved schools last year we hosted the the staff and as most were new in country they really appreciated coming into someone’s home when they were living with the basics.

We’re headed back this summer, into rented accommodation as we’re not going back to where we used to live but still have a house there. I wouldn’t rent a furnished house, and our agent also advised against letting our house furnished. In four years we’ve never struggled for a tenant in an unfurnished four bed property.

19. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Despite being given a 20ft shipping container as a part of the package everything was sold or given away to friends or charity. That was over a decade ago and landed a pretty package, school and location. China may pose you different experiences, each to their own.

If you know that the expat and international life is what you want from now then sell it all or give it away. Storage is an option for items you really can't part with.

englishdragon likes this.
  20. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

This wisdom would have served me well before leaving home, but frankly, how many of us know what that expat and international life is before taking that first job outside the comfort of home?