1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of D&T for Year 7!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by aslondon, Jun 7, 2011.

1. aslondon

aslondon New commenter

The Academy where I teach are thinking of getting rid of D&T for Year 7, so starting in Year 8!! Financial and logistical reasons. Surely this is wrong, very wrong?

2. aslondon

aslondon New commenter

The Academy where I teach are thinking of getting rid of D&T for Year 7, so starting in Year 8!! Financial and logistical reasons. Surely this is wrong, very wrong?

3. YES YES YES. Clearly this is wrong. But of course D&T is costly in terms of materials and group sizes/teachers. Surely it is still compulsory at KS3 and certain things have to be covered. Are they going to do twice as much in Year 8? The knock on effect for KS4 is obvious, but then if and when results go down they will have even more reson to get rid of D&T at KS4. PROTEST LOUDLY and ask in EXPERT etc

4. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Very wrong. But as an academy you can, I believe, set your own curriculum...
    We are losing D+T in year 9, and for many in year 8, in favour of e-bac subjects.
    Apparently is is not seen as important. But yet we have a higher uptake in KS4 than we have had for years.... and I mean, significantly higher...!

5. This is not something new in Singapore. DT is always being koed even though it is compulsory (along with Home economics) in the Lower secondary education. Recource wise, we have much more than subjects like Principles of Accounts. No one appreciates design education here, except minority. That's why we have to reinvent ourselves often.
    DT tr in Singapore

6. DT does seem to be sliding down the ladder of importance, but art and drama are still up there ! I think Product design is a good route to go down and I generally feel parents and pupils see it as more upto date rather than wood work and metal shop.

7. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Yes quite worrying.......no Yr7 this year, so will it be ok to drop it next year for Yr8 and so on??? Can I ask, do you have an activity or topic day/week at anytime during the year in your school? If so you could run a project for the whole of year 7 at the end of the year, make it really exciting and fun, show the kids and umm the parents[​IMG] what they have been missing!!!

Cheers
    Spencer