1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Reviews

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mr_cullis, Feb 24, 2019.

1. mr_cullis

mr_cullis New commenter

Hi all,

I have searched the forums (albeit quite briefly, so apologies if this is a duplicate post) and I would like to know if anyone has any tips on getting people who use your resources to leave a review after downloading! I have a total 184 downloads from 425 views since I started in October, but a meager 5 reviews. All my resources are free and of very good quality and the reviews I have are mostly five stars, so it can't be that they aren't good enough (or can it??). It's quite frustrating for me that I am putting in a lot of effort to make good resources and try to build up a popular (and free - did I mention they are free?!) resource bank. I've read through the "Top tips to promote your resources" section and have everything set up the way they suggest. I'm even on the top of the first page on a Google search. Why aren't people reviewing my work!? I'm seeing other resources younger than mine with twice as many reviews. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help or tips would be great!

Here's my shop page: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/mr_cullis

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

2. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Hello Paul. I would say that it is the other resources with a lot of reviews that are the exception, not you. reviews are like hens teeth particularly for free resources. I would say 5 is above average!!

HTH
    Gill

mr_cullis likes this.
  3. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

5 reviews from 184 downloads is actually quite high and it sounds like your resources are getting recognised. The number of reviews on TES is generally very low (1 review for every few hundred downloads is not unheard of). Try not to worry too much about the number of reviews and focus on creating more great resources. We have a new authors Facebook support group you may want to join, where experienced, successful authors can offer advice on everything TES related.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/798134337209976/

4. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I worked out my review to download ratio the other day to around 0.28. So yeah reviews are very hard to get! Oddly I find people leave them more often on paid for rather than free downloads - I think this is because people are more invested in the outcome of the paid for resources and so want to have something to say about them afterwards, whether that be good or bad. I wish we had a credit system to encourage more reviews.

5. mr_cullis

mr_cullis New commenter

Wow really?? Ok, well that makes me feel a bit better about nwilkin, thanks for the oint towards facebook, but Im one of the small amount of people who dont use facebook. I have joined the community on here though.
    EC_Resources, yeah I agree with the whole pad resources get more reviews thing. Maybe I should start charging!

nwilkin likes this.
  6. mr_cullis

mr_cullis New commenter

Excuse the typos, my ipad tends to dislike words...

7. rowenamdialino

rowenamdialino New commenter

I totally agree. I think it would be a much better way for TES to evaluate the quality of an authors resources too, that is IF they could find a way to encourage more downloaders to leave a review. Perhaps an automatic email and survey system (like booking.com), sent 1-2 days after a download, that prompts users to rate the resource after they've had a chance to look at it. The number of downloads and sales is dependent on a lot of things other than quality, and therefore is not a reliable measure in my eyes.

mr_cullis likes this.
  8. MissHanson

MissHanson New commenter

I’ve recently become an author on TES and reviews are like gold dust.
    Teachers don’t realise how important their reviews are and I have to admit, before becoming an author I hardly left reviews myself.
    It’s understandable as teachers are incredibly busy and once they’ve used the resource it’s easy to forget to go back to review. So I wouldn’t worry about it.

9. mr_cullis

mr_cullis New commenter

Thanks Miss Hanson, it’s actually made me feel quite a bit better about it, now knowing how rare they are. I will treasure my five reviews and put them on my metaphorical fridge door! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

MosaiK and nwilkin like this.
  10. Monha

Monha Occasional commenter

Yes, I am totally waiting for some reviews for my resources too.

11. thecre8tiveresources

thecre8tiveresources New commenter

A lot of the top authors offer " Free Products" when you review an item as an incentive. You may want to do that.