1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting reviews of my resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by owl_eyed_resources, Aug 19, 2016.

1. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

If you intend to set up in the business of publishing and selling resources you ought to familiarise yourself with the laws related to doing so. It amazes me that anyone with at least a first degree can apparently be oblivious to issues of plagiarism and copyright.

I understand there may be confusion due to the many resources on TES in breach of copyright and it could be argued that TES has a duty to support teachers by bringing to their attention that ALL parts of their work should be either of their own creation or licenced for their commercial use.

It would appear that TES do not do this because they profit from any sales and perhaps believe that any legal dispute will be palmed off to the author rather than them. This isn't likely to change until such time that a large publisher deems it worth their while to take action. If and when that happens it will be interesting to see whether the action is taken against an individual author or TES and what the knock on implications of that will be.

In the meantime you can choose whether to do things legitimately or join in with what is effectively the piratebay of teaching resources. Good luck.

2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

@sophiestyles don't worry everyone makes mistakes and this is a whole new venture so everyone is learning.

I have found a lot of hostility online as well but there is also a lot of support here and in other places for teacher- authors.

Authors like you who want to do the right thing and are quick to fix their mistakes are a benefit to our community.

3. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

You need a thick skin on these forums as some people can be quite...how should I put this...unforgiving?

4. owl_eyed_resources

owl_eyed_resources New commenter

Aw thanks a lot for your support I really appreciate it. As you can see I have already started to make changes to my resources and have done some research to find out what can and can't be used. (Was pleased to find some recognised images are royalty free too which was a bonus).

I think it is a shame that some people can be so negative because teachers (on the whole) are such a lovely, supportive group and I think communities such as this should support each other- especially in light of the negative press teachers appear to get often.

Thankfully, there are people like you and mrajlong who are genuinely nice people. Equally, I often notice that the people who are not quite so polite often have a reason for this; perhaps they feel under appreciated or something. Anyway it's best not to be affected.

mrajlong likes this.
  5. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @sophiestyles ,
    This previous posting by @thinky has an excellent visual aid for copyright:
    Good luck!

@mrajlong , I'm not the copyright police:)but do agree with @redlamp2 :

sophiestyles likes this.
  6. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I'd actually being trying to find that link a few days ago :)

I agree that TES should provide more guidance on copyright issues. The present situation is inviting problems further down the line and won't do any of us any favours.

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Redlamp was correct in his insinuation, but his delivery lacked finesse and upset the op. No need.

sophiestyles likes this.
  8. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I agree with people taking and leaving nothing, which is why the TES is such a good thing for people who are generous with their work. I have to be honest that it still makes me smile when someone leaves a review as it's a sign of appreciation. I changed jobs a few years ago and had a lot of good resources sitting on a memory stick that I knew I'd never be able to use. Why not share and share alike.

Well done for sharing, of course there are rules but you'll get the hang of it. Remember, you can't please all of the people all of the time and don't get stuck on comments that are not as you'd like. They only matter as long as you let them...

sophiestyles and Charleei like this.
  9. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

This is a good idea!

I think more guidance/support from TES on creating & selling would help all new teacher-authors.

sophiestyles, mathsmutt and mrajlong like this.
  10. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Charleei's right- we're all learning! To your credit, you've been quick to correct your mistakes.

mathsmutt, Charleei and mrajlong like this.
  11. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

12. owl_eyed_resources

owl_eyed_resources New commenter

Thanks :) uh I know i spent six hours today going through as many resources as I could and altering them if needed so they were not infringing any copyright laws etc.

13. LessonChest

LessonChest New commenter

I use Google image search and click Search Tools -> Usage Rights -> Labelled for reuse. This should return results which can be used in resources you sell.

I would double check any image though by clicking visit site. Most sites will tell you if you image is:

Public Domain - You can use it for anything.
    Creative Commons 3.0 - You can use it commercially as long as you credit the author and do not claim they support your work.

Both of these allow you commercial use :)

Ps. Sophie, I've seen lots of paid resources with copyrighted material being used. I think it's a learning curve for us.

ProfMcGonagall likes this.
  14. VirtuallyQatarted

VirtuallyQatarted New commenter

Do you really think someone rating a resource low - because they have not read the instructions on how to download, is it fair? I had to delete a bundle due to this. I am guessing the person did not look at the bundle files individually, where they have the instructions.

At least I know now to put opening instructions on the BUNDLE now. So maybe that person has saved me time in the future.

I do wish people would just contact me and I can sort the problem out immediately. Has anyone else had this problem? The irony of all this is the resource contained lots of information on social media and 'rating', 'likes' etc, and how they affect your products... Maybe it's because that person couldn't open it, they couldn't read the affect of giving low ratings on a product is. I need a sedative....and a dark corner...

15. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

If you contact authors@TES and explain they can remove the rating if they think it is unfair or the instructions have not been read properly. There is a link by the review to report a problem with the resorce - use this link to contact TES and explain the problem.

16. VirtuallyQatarted

VirtuallyQatarted New commenter

Thanks for the reply.

17. gailhennessey

gailhennessey New commenter

I also use openclipart.org for images and another I would suggest is wpclipart.com
    Gail