1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting reviews of my resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by owl_eyed_resources, Aug 19, 2016.

1. owl_eyed_resources

owl_eyed_resources New commenter

hi all,

I'm really new to TES as an author and just wondered if anyone could advise me on how to get reviews of my resources? Some of them have been downloaded quite a few times but no one has left a review really.

Thanks,
    Soph

2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi, welcome to the forum

I had a look at some of your products they look really interesting. Reviews are hard to come by but there are a few things which can help.

In your descriptions remind people to leave feedback. Sometimes all it takes is a little reminder. You can also include an information page at the end of your product and remind people again to leave a review, if you tell people how important feedback is they are more likely to leave it.

Hope this helps

sophiestyles likes this.
  3. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Can be quite frustrating trying to get reviews. Charleei's ideas may work to some extent. In my experience about 2-5% of my sales result in a review! That's pretty low and hope TES do something to encourage more reviews. They used to send emails to remind people and there is an option on people's homepages to review recent downloads - no reviews this summer though! Reviews help with sales - of this there is no doubt - as it gives the buyer more confidence. Wish I got more!!

sophiestyles likes this.
  4. owl_eyed_resources

Hi, thanks a lot for this- I'll try adding in a request for feedback- after all I'd like to know both if it was useful and what changes could be recommended. Appreciate your help x

5. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Well, even though I have posted around 10 paid resources, I have also posted over 100 free ones. To be honest, I only ever post 'paid' resources when they are something 'extra' and not necessarily lesson resources as I believe that these should be free.

If you look at my 'free' resources, you will see that most of these (ones based in RE) are 4.5-5 stars. One of the things that you have to realise, is that very few people leave reviews anyway. On average about 2-5 in every 1000 views, actually write a review, but it does depend on the resource. Unfortunately, as most people who come on the TES come to browse and look at 'free' resources, they are less likely to look at 'paid' resources. This is for two possible reasons: one - because they don't want to open their pockets, and/or two- because no one is reviewing these other than those who pay for them.

I used to review regularly because I felt that people deserved recognition for their hard work! However, there are too many people who just look and leave.... nothing.

tchristin and ProfMcGonagall like this.
  6. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Sorry to call you out on this but how can it possibly be legal to sell resources using Disney artwork?

mathsmutt and wanet like this.
  7. mrajlong

Not sure who redlamp is referring to here, but you need to be very careful about breaching copyright. Sourcing images is a necessary evil and I know it can cause problems when creating original resources. If you start making money from resources that incorporate copyrighted images, it will be just a matter of time until it is reported to TES. I use this website for all my images:
    https://openclipart.org/royalty-free-clipart
    Totally unlimited commercial use...

8. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I'm referring to the person requesting reviews for work that is in large part not their own.

9. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I use the advanced search in Google when searching for images. There, you can specify searching for images that are free to 'use or share commercially.' Gives a bit of piece of mind in a copyright minefield.

sophiestyles likes this.
  10. mrajlong

Just seen them, redlamp. Oh, dear...

11. owl_eyed_resources

I may sound naive but as I saw other people using images from Google/Disney/films etc I didn't realise this was not allowed. I will be changing things on my resources today because now I understand the issue.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  12. owl_eyed_resources

I appreciate and have responded to your first comment, however I do take slight offence to your comment that the work is 'in large part not their own' as I have spent time and effort making over 70 resources,with only 4 of these having the Disney artwork that I was not aware I couldn't use (and will be changing today). I have checked the style of font that I used this morning and this is free to use. The rest of my resources are mock papers,lessons and resources I have genuinely made from scratch purely to aide other teachers and myself. I'm really sorry you took such offence to an innocent mistake, and as I said before, I appreciate you pointing it out.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But you should be aware of copyright! gives a wrong message to students when teachers ignore it!

14. mrajlong

Innocent mistake I'm sure, sophie. Don't worry too much. No damage done. That website I posted is great for images and no worries about copyright. Good luck!

Charleei and CurriculumForAutism like this.
  15. mrajlong

This is interesting and was not aware of this option GoGo. How dependable do you think the results are when you do this search?

16. owl_eyed_resources

It really was an innocent mistake, I just felt like some of the people responding were being a bit mean in the manner in which they were writing. I only wanted advice on how to have some reviews...Thanks for the link I have used it already :)

17. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

It seems very dependable. I defintely trust it. I only understood this was a search option when I googled how I could ensure that I could use images from Google without fear of copyright infringement.

18. mrajlong

You might wanna check your 'menus' for any images/logos, sophie. Soz.

19. owl_eyed_resources

Oh god I know I'm going to have to systematically go through EVERYTHING and do a double check! Thanks

20. mrajlong

I feel your pain. It's bad enough finding a mistake and having to spend time fixing, converting, combining, zipping and re-uploading.