1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting reception changed for PE

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by woolyma, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I wonder if anyone has any useful tips on how to make this less painful than was last week with only 15 children. We will have 30 for PE this week, all aged 4 and 5.
    I have asked for advice at school but only get knowing smiles! I have tried using a spot for them to get changed on, asked them to put clothes straight into bag but we still end up with shirtless/shortless/sockless children. Last year we lost a pair of shoes for 2 days, they were eventually brought back in someone elses bag.
    Any advice gratefully received, failing that amusing stories might cheer me up!

2. I wonder if anyone has any useful tips on how to make this less painful than was last week with only 15 children. We will have 30 for PE this week, all aged 4 and 5.
    I have asked for advice at school but only get knowing smiles! I have tried using a spot for them to get changed on, asked them to put clothes straight into bag but we still end up with shirtless/shortless/sockless children. Last year we lost a pair of shoes for 2 days, they were eventually brought back in someone elses bag.
    Any advice gratefully received, failing that amusing stories might cheer me up!

3. Funny how if anyone forgets to put their underwear on in the morning, it is always a boy!!

4. In our Reception, changing for PE in the early days lasts almost a whole session.
    For the first couple of weeks we do pumps only. Finding PE bag and organising themself being the initial objective.
    Then for the first few sessions the Teacher does a step by step change.
    All the children fetch their bags and place on their changing space and wait for the next instruction.
    Then it is shoes off first and wait until everyone is ready.
    Then it's jumpers off, folded and placed on floor and wait for next instruction.
    Then it's polo shirt and trousers, skirt all folded.
    Only then are the children are allowed to open their bags and put on their kit.
    The TA will support the children who are struggling to dress independently.
    Then when everyone is ready we return to the carpet and give out stickers for super dressing.
    Quite often in the early days we often only get time to get to the hall, have a quick run around and then it's time to get changed again.
    We have two classes of thirty and not enough tables for children to change at, so the time spent setting a good PE routine pays dividends later on.
    Good luck - Changing Reception for PE could become an Olympic sport!!!

5. Fantastic advice!

6. Thanks - sounds like great advice. It took us 50 minutes to get changed (into kit) last week and despite allocating everyone a chair or cushion we still had a mishmash. We are taking the class swimming for the first time tomorrow but at least we get a few more helpers on swimming day. I expect we will get about 10 mins in the water. I have been asked to bring my cozzie, think I may wear it under my work gear so I can help with costumes and hats when we get there.

7. I know with swimming your time in the changing room and pool may be limited but for PE can't you start the changing early enough to allow it to be worthwhile for the children. Learning to change clothes and keep them organised is a skill in itself.

8. In a school I have worked in they have a basket for each child - the children are allocated a space in the classroom and the children are guided for at least the first half to term- all take of shoes, jumpers, trousers, tshirts etc. It works but is still a slow process.