1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting reception age children to associate colour with an emoti on - too advance for them or ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by estheexd1, Sep 30, 2019.

1. estheexd1

estheexd1 New commenter

For an interview task I was thinking about getting reception age students to paper body with a smily face on it what colours they thinking happiness is, is that suitable for their age or too advance for them ?

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

There's a lovely book called "What colour is love?", I've used it with reception, it became one of those "go to" books that children chose.
    But emotions, I don't think I'd associate colours, more facial expressions.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm not sure I see any use for it - maybe it's just too advanced for me. What is your objective? For an interview task, I think you need to have a clear objective in mind, and you don't want one of your observers to be thinking "why?"

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Perfectly suitable as long as you approach it right. May I suggest flipping it though, I'd maybe read this book and then get them to colour in a person to show how they feel today. Make sure though you are starting with a clear purpose/learning objective. The activity coming from that as opposed to the other way around.

[​IMG]

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you'd get a fair few just colouring in their favourite colour.
    I can't for the life of me see what ELG this is heading towards though.

I'd be the observer asking 'why?'
    And I use the book that @Stiltskin showed above...still wouldn't do the activity you mention though.

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm not only a retired teacher, but a prolific children's poet, and I came to this change of career because of children in my local primary school who asked me to write for them over some years. I've written many colour poems, but also poems on happiness. Would you like me to write a poem especially for you: 'Colour Me Happy'? It would be my pleasure, although I'm up to my neck at the moment having to make a new website with 2000 pages on it and I only started a week ago. Lots of work ahead of me, but time to do you a nice poem.

7. JosieWhitehead

Here we are: Just for you - and you can find a smiley face for them to colour gold to go with it. :) Ah, here's one. Now for your special poem:

COLOUR ME HAPPY

By Josie Whitehead

Colour me happy and colour me gold.
    Don’t add any blueness, for blue equals cold.
    Add warmth on my picture: add orange as well -
    That tells folk I’m happy: perhaps you can tell.

Colour me happy – the colour of sun -
    And colour me happy when I’m having fun.
    The bright colour of yellow just lights up my day,
    And, feeling so happy, I’m off now to play.

I've written it in anapaestic tetrameter but emphasized the word Colour at the start of each verse. I think this metre, with its happy strolling metre, is good for this happy poem and I hope you like it. Josie

8. caterpillartobutterfly

So your suggestion for an interview is to read children a poem they probably won't understand and ask them to colour a smiley face in an adult prescribed colour?

Perhaps not.

bajan likes this.
  9. justinechubb123

justinechubb123 New commenter

love this book

10. JosieWhitehead

I think children would well understand that they feel happy when the sky is lit up and golden, or they pick up golden leaves or go into a bedroom with bright yellow paper whereas black, for example, is rather spooky. I know that on my website, the first colour the children see when they come to my welcome page is golden with my red Drac the Dragon on it. I'm not too sure about the adult smiley face in an adult prescribed colour though. Perhaps my advice isn't good though - - ???

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

A harsh and unnecessary response.

blue451 likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

Perhaps...I see I wrote it on Wednesday. It had been a naff day.
    Apologies.

lardylady likes this.