1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting really fed up of the negativity on here

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by NotJohnBrown, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Look, the future may not be as bright as we would like but this forum surely has other, and more positive functions than as an outlet for the miserable ***, so many of them sock-armies, who tell us that the game is all over.
    We used to ask questions, exchange ideas and help each other as well as moan and argue.
    It would be so nice to go back there.
    notjohnbrown.
    (Miserable old fart but a whole World more positive than so many on here).

2. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

What? not spend hours moaning about crappy managers, rubbish pay, thick kids and even thicker colleagues.... what would be the POINT of this forum?????[​IMG]

3. That's all fine.
    The constant jungle drums detailing extinction are not.

4. Ministers and Governments come and go and leave a trail of changes. We have had a death of a thousand initiatives. I really cannot see ICT completely disappearing. Changing (and why not) but not disappearing, If I am wrong so be it. When clowns like Gove have finished why do so many young Teachers want to leave? Is the Curriculum really the issue?

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Agreed. This forum can be very negative indeed. I can't believe the number of 'ICT haters' on here. Odd for an forum meant for ICT teachers.
    I hope our subject does not disappear, taught properly it can really benefit students. Any subject taught badly with limited scope is bad, not just ICT.
    I wish all ICT teachers well for the new year and hope they are not made redundant. This is not just for their (and my) sake, but also for the sake of our students who seem to need good ICT teaching now more than they ever did. I also hope all of the ICT haters would go elsewhere with their negative opinions in 2012.
    Merry Christmas.
    Robot1.

6. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

Its not that people here hate ICT, I think they hate what it has become.
    If the OCR Nationals (which really is what the daggers are out for) sinks us,
    then we've been the architects of our own downfall, and good riddence.
    As much as I embrace this technology, I view its impact on the education,
    people, art and the world in general as a profoundly distructive one.

Burn the spinning jenny say I...
    Yo, Ho, Ho

7. The negativity from some is getting quite depressing. Can't some just give it a rest?! Ok, so many of us have been extremely angry at what the Nationals have done - but it is game over on nationals/league table chasing anyway. Let it go. And we know that there is a lot of uncertainty around at the moment - thats life and the march of politics.
    Overall, I think there should be a new year resolution to be positive and embrace the year and questions about the future with a sense of optimism and opportunity. If ICT education is changing then it means there are new possibilities and potentially exciting change, not necessarily doom and gloom.
    My heart will go out to anyone being made redundant, but surely the fight is on to really show ICT and Computing as part of a relevant and exciting education. It is a fight that most certainly is there for the winning.

8. Exactly.
    In it's current form, it is a disaster. Then again, many GCSEs and A-levels are rubbish, thanks to the NuLab memes and spin poisoning the system.
    Let's be happy in exorcising the ghosts and returning both ICT and Computing to the status they deserve.

9. I think that "hating what ICT has become" is exactly right. Many ICT teachers have came to hate what it's become.
    When exam boards have used ICT as a vehicle for marketing poor quality qualifications ..who was there to speak out against it? When schools grabbed at those qualifications to claw their way up the league tables .... who was there to blow the whistle?
    How could it be that the people who want the subject to be important, to be useful, to make it rigorous but accessible to all didn't say anything???????????
    Like a good examiner...... I'll tell you the answer!
    It's because you ICT teachers, unlike any other subject, don't have a subject association!!
    AND ... before anyone say "What about Naace?" Naace is in no way an ICT SUBJECT association.
    Who will fix this?

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Whilst I completely agree with this it is essential that ICT and Computing are seen as seperate and the "clear blue water" between to two is defined.
    CAS has done and continues to do for Computing what was needed - but what about ICT? Who is fighting the corner for this subject? Should anyone be fighting for this subject? If not we will end up with the current situation worsening rather than improving, we will end up with; as we've seen times many on this forum - "My head has asked me to be Head of ICT and I'm a ***** teacher; I know nothing about ICT, please help".
    ICT needs a clearly defined body of knowledge. The problem being how do you define a body of knowledge for a constantly developing subject? How do you then assess that? The various exam boards have tried to develop models and all had their faults but a modular course that has units on different areas of ICT seems a sound model to me. One where new units can be added and developed. BTEC, OCR Nationals and DIDA have all offered this but development never happened and assessment had no rigour. Teachers aimed for the "minimum we can get away with" approach and the number of moderators needed was too high and qaulity of them too low.

11. Sad *wats get a life!

12. Re "Computing At School - http://www.computingatschool.org.uk

In only a few years of existence, an agreed body of knowledge, an OCR GCSE in Computing and major steps in fixing it with government have been taken."

I'm not quite clear who has or could "agree" a "body of knowledge".

Sadly the eradication of ICT will take with it any advances made by computing. Will school's appoint "computing" staff when ICT has gone. Will computing just "pop up" at KS 4 with no introduction at KS3? Which children would choose such an unknown?

13. Splendid!! Eloquence and brevity are the foundations of great intellects!!

14. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

On our first introduction of it we have two option groups. It's not unknown if the KS3 ICT teachers introduce it in Y9 before options choices, if it appears in the options information and is well sold.

15. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

But lots of subjects just 'pop up' at kS4. e.g. Business studies, Psychology, Electronics to name but a few - The children seem to cope.
    Indeed, in the dim distant past I taught Computer Science (O level/CSE/16+/GCSE) with no lower school preamble- even in a very 'bog standard comp' we managed to get a couple of groups of 25+ each year
    If the students (and you) think it is worthwhile and you sell it well, you will get the numbers.
    That being said, other agendas are afoot, which may b*gg*r up any plans any of us have

16. On a (possibly) more positive note, I have been doing a bit more tutoring lately and the recession has frightened people.
    Counter-intutitively(?) this means that rates have gone up by £10 per hour in my locale, so there is hope.
    Unfortunately, this applies to Maths - demand for GCSE, laughably simple, is going through the roof.
    The only ICT/Computing I'm doing at the moment is a database and a programming project for two A Level kids.
    I could make a black-market living almost as good as my real income from this and have my days free.
    Our experience as teachers, child-clearance and quals mean this is there for us so it's not all despair.
    It's not what I'd want, but there again the **** we sometimes have to teach in school isn't either, but it may come to tutoring and it's a lot more than most victims of this administration will get.

17. Interesting. Coming from a Computing background, I despair at what ICT has become and find a lot of what we have to do trivial and irrelevant, and the paperwork and assessment is really grinding me into the ground, and did I mention yet more INSET days on bullying?
    I have given serious thought to giving it all up and becoming a Maths tutor, something I did a long time ago for a while. I'd like to think that Computing and programming is really going to make a comeback, but given that it has taken the powers that be seven or eight years to realise that ICT has gone wrong, and it will take exam boards years to put any changes into place (when they are finally announced), I can't see any real practical change for at least 4 or 5 years at the earliest - 2016? approximately By then, I will have been certified.
    What part of the country are you in and what hourly rate are you charging?

18. I live in Harrow NW London, a prosperous area with Asian families who demand success from their kids and aren't getting what they want from the state system.
    For GCSE, I charge min. £35 an hour but more if the family is rich - in one case, I have been paid £55 an hour (and picked up by the family driver!)).
    Currently, I do no more than 4 a week - I could easily treble that with word of mouth alone - if you've done this before you'll know that you get people asking all the time.
    Interestingly, for KS5 ICT Coursework Units I often charge more - a lot more; I have produced a few exemplars which I tweak and basically re-sell to clients over and over again. Really that works out at £50 an hour.
    I think this is easier if you live in a prosperous area like mine but I'm sure it all balances out in relative terms.
    A nice earner if your house is big enough (mine is small) is teaching small groups in your home - a guy I work with is earning £100 per hour doing thisand lives very nicely, thank you.
    If you go on the tutoring sites you'll find the right level for your area.
    The amount of satisfaction I've derived from teaching in the classroom has declined at an increasingly steep rate over the years but I'd still prefer a satisfying teaching job to what is evening work.

19. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

That's a very encouraging post. I had no idea you could charge that much for tutoring in the UK. I work overseas and many of my colleagues make lots of money doing tutoring. There is a big demand for it in international schools (though sadly not for ICT). As I am getingt older I am hoping to be able to teach part-time in a few years and supplement my income tutoring maths.

20. It's ok, Penny.

The thing to remember is that it's a business - I give people a bit more than the hour they pay for and give support via Email. That builds your 'brand' keeps you valued and gets you recommended.