1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Ready!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Dec 21, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

So, in the assumption that everyone's broken up, what's everyone doing to get ready for the feasting?
    We're making edible presents today:
    Chilli jam
    Dried fruits steeped in Pedro Ximinez
    Peanut brittle
    Toffee Vodka
    Gold painted biscuits (for our nieces to hang on the tree)

Also making Molly's Christmas lunch to puree and freeze to take down to my parents' - beef, potato, carrot and cauliflower (she will, of course, have a piece of roast beef and a yorkshire pud on the day, to gum and gurn at!).

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

So, in the assumption that everyone's broken up, what's everyone doing to get ready for the feasting?
    We're making edible presents today:
    Chilli jam
    Dried fruits steeped in Pedro Ximinez
    Peanut brittle
    Toffee Vodka
    Gold painted biscuits (for our nieces to hang on the tree)

Also making Molly's Christmas lunch to puree and freeze to take down to my parents' - beef, potato, carrot and cauliflower (she will, of course, have a piece of roast beef and a yorkshire pud on the day, to gum and gurn at!).

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Today I've done my edible pressies too - Nigella's Sweet and Salty Crunchie Nut bars are setting in the fridge.
    At the moment the watercress soup and celeriac soup are simmering on the hob.
    I was planning to make EG's Christmas Cupcakes today but I need cupcake cases. I'll pop into town after lunch and make these this afternoon.

4. So far I've made 2 banana and fruit loaves and 3 dozen mince pies. Banana loaf is not very festive but we had 6 very soft bananas to use up. Next it will be biscuits to be given as pressies. Vanilla ones half dipped in milk chocolate and lime ones with plain chocolate. Then it'll be on to oxtail soup and cooking the ham. The only question is... why am I on here?

5. Chocolate vodka!
    For me........[​IMG]

6. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I made Nigella's Christmas muffins for last day of term yesterday. Today the house has been mucked out! Tomorrow I'm making Levi Roots' Blue Mountain creme brûlées, snow flecked brownies and on Christmas Eve, Miss W wants to make Nigella's chocolate cake (the one with condensed milk in) to take to her boyfriend's for Christmas tea. If anything is made any earlier, we'll eat it before the festivities! [​IMG]

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Hairy bikers one from last night?

8. Don't know. I didn't see the programme.
    This one, you melt 5 mars bars and a bottle of vodka together ( in a bowl standing in hot water), decant it back into the bottle and pop in freezer.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Sounds good: have you made it before?

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

what did you think of the orange sauce for goose made by Raymond Blanc the other night?
    I'm going to try it I think.

11. OMG!!!!!! Chocolate vodka........hic!

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds divine!!!!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

ow would you get it out of the bottle? We put our vodka in the freezer but I can't see how such a thick, heavy and almost frozen mixture could be poured out of a narrow-spouted bottle.

Sounds disgusting anyway.

14. OOOOOH mama!!!! :p

15. Inky! Who stole your jelly piece this evening?
    I haven't tried pouring it out of the bottle yet.......I am assured it will pour though. I'll let you know. It tasted fab before it went in!

16. Ah ken fine manny.....ah wis jist bein' posh!

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

I just have to make this chocolate vodka ------ do you think I could do it with French Alcool pour Fruits? or should I buy a bottle of the "proper" stiff?

18. Dunno, H, but I've just added a bottle of vodka and a multi pack of Mars bars to tomorrow's shopping list...