1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready for lunch!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mimi1967, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    This is my first ever time in foundation.....had one morning and am exhausted!!!LOL
    My partner teacher has only taught for one year so is not much better off than me. It took my children 15 minutes to wash their hands and toilet and get ready for lunch. While they were doing this the rest of the class sat on the carpet with me chatting to them. It just seemed such a waste of time! What do other people do when they are washing hands etc?
    Anyone have any brilliant ideas which keeps the children occupied in a better way?

Thanks
    Melody

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It is only their first day - they will speed up (slightly!). To fill the time, try singing, rhymes, a story, game on the IWB, etc.

3. School I used to supply on put songs on the IWB - think they used singup before it went pay to get the songs and some off Cbeebies... had a certain number of children getting ready at one time and when they were ready they went and tapped someone still sat down on the shoulder who could then go and get ready, so the whole thing just snowballed with a limited number of children around the sinks at one time (pick your starting number of kids according to how many you want).

4. Thanks very much to both of you. I will try these ideas tomorrow!

Mel

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

15 minutes on their first day isn't bad! I agree with the others, singing or a whiteboard game while sending a few at a time.