1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting qualifications recognised in Ireland

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by H_S, Aug 26, 2018.

1. H_S

H_S New commenter

Hi all,

I am looking at moving to Ireland (Dublin, specifically) and am trying to start the process of getting my English qualifications recognised. It seems an impossible process, especially for PE! I've contacted my university and have kept every bit of documentation I've ever been given but the detail required (specifically on the PE1 form) seems almost impossible to obtain. Has anyone else been through this process or could recommend another option for teaching in Ireland?! Most people I have spoken to seem to think that many schools won't recognise a PGCE anyway but I don't know if this is true - any advice gratefully received.

2. davidd

davidd New commenter

hi total nightmare, im involved in the process now. 200 euro to asses your qualifications, when assessed you will have a shortfall in a unit called the history of the Irish education system. If all else is ok you will have to sit a simple test on this topic to get full registration, in the mean time you will have provisional registration and paid as an unqualified teacher. the next time you can sit this test is some time in November. Also talk to the teaching council because I believe as of this year uk qualifications will be assessed against the new 2 year irish hdip meaning there will be massive shortfalls , but check with them to make sure. All schools recognise the PGCE but it only matters what the teaching council recognise. About a 3 month wait to get through the whole process !

3. busola93

busola93 New commenter

@davidd when did you start the process?
    I'm currently an NQT teaching in London, but looking to move to Dublin after my NQT year is over and I want to get a head start into the registration process but I am not clear on when to apply. Don't want to be jobless when I move. When did you apply? What were the test like? thank you

4. davidd

davidd New commenter

apply now it takes 3 months. You will be resisted with two conditions , 1. you will need to complete a history of the Irish education system exam 2. complete an NQT year. when you get the nqt complete in the uk inform the teaching council and this will be removed as a condition. This way you will be able to apply for jobs for September

5. davidd

davidd New commenter

apply now it takes 3 months. You will be resisted with two conditions , 1. you will need to complete a history of the Irish education system exam 2. complete an NQT year. when you get the nqt complete in the uk inform the teaching council and this will be removed as a condition. This way you will be able to apply for jobs for September

The history of Irish exam is a joke nothing to worry about , everything else is just a matter of getting your qualifications assessed