1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Getting paid over summer after maternity contract

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by geology rocks, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Am just coming to the end of a maternity cover, which was due to finish in May. Have been asked to teach up until & including the last teaching day. I always knew I would not receive money for the summer holidays. However, returning teacher is coming back part time in sept but also part time for the final week (head wants her to be a bit involved) so...the school are only paying her part time over the summer!!! Personally i think this is unfair but...can i therefore claim any of the remaining summer salary? (independent school by the way)
    thanks!

2. Am just coming to the end of a maternity cover, which was due to finish in May. Have been asked to teach up until & including the last teaching day. I always knew I would not receive money for the summer holidays. However, returning teacher is coming back part time in sept but also part time for the final week (head wants her to be a bit involved) so...the school are only paying her part time over the summer!!! Personally i think this is unfair but...can i therefore claim any of the remaining summer salary? (independent school by the way)
    thanks!

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It will depend on the terms and conditions of your school as it's independent- in an LEA school once the person returns from maternity the school can let you go and owe you nothing. If you are leaving on the last day of term then I imagine that will be the last day they pay you for.
    If the teacher is returning part time then the school are within their rights to pay her part time for the summer holidays. They are saving themselves a bit of dosh by paying her part time and not paying you but they can do this.