1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting paid a decent salary

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Kmquarcoo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Kmquarcoo

Kmquarcoo New commenter

After working as a teacher for 17 years (13 USA, 4 UK), Im finding it difficult to get above M6. What do I need to do to get paid for the experience that Im bringing to the table. 17 years of teaching is a long time to be getting paid such a low wage for a QTS.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think you have to pass the threshold, and you do that in a job, not between jobs. Then yo have to pass performance management, in your job. Length of years teaching does not affect it.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Kmquarcoo

Kmquarcoo New commenter

does each school have there on performance mgt or is it country wide

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

each has their own. Your HT has to agree you have passed the threshold, and that would be with a couple of years evidence. You could maybe get some evidence from a previous UK school? If it is from last year?

5. lisajkent

lisajkent New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Move abroad. In over 10 years teaching internationally i have NEVER earnt less than M6, dispite never actually completing my NQT year back in the UK. currently i am earning considerably more than anyone in the state sector, and im just a classroom teacher.

Your experience would open a lot of doors

Kmquarcoo likes this.
  7. Kmquarcoo

Kmquarcoo New commenter

Thanks...I will do some research