1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting over a **** up

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PeakyBlinder, Sep 12, 2017.

1. PeakyBlinder

PeakyBlinder New commenter

I am covering symmetry with my Year 4s & I have given them an activity that was meant for Year 5/6 today!

I wasn't happy with the symmetry tasks I gave my Year 4s last year (my first year in year 4) as I didn't feel as if it prepared them well enough for the end of unit assessment (we use the ****** tests). I decided to go on ****** to find something that would provide more of a challenge. However, after delivering my input on completing a symmetrical figure I realised that the task I had given my HA & MA was reflective symmetry rather than completing a symmetrical figure!! An admittedly dumb mistake I know & that's why I can't get over it. I'm lay awake now fretting about it even though I have already planned on doing at least another lesson on symmetry. The funny thing is that the children actually managed to complete the task successfully but I'm concerned what will happen when the SLT take the books in. Will I be dragged over hot coals?

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Here's what you do: Give your HA & MA some kind of starter activity to complete for the first part of tomorrow's lesson. Make sure it has today's date on it. Stick it over the work they have done today. Then proceed as normal. Nobody will ask. Nobody will care. And you will be more careful next time. Now go to sleep and stop being daft.

syedsgirl likes this.
  3. PeakyBlinder

Thank you!

vannie likes this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Please don't cover up their work. What message is that sending the children who did what they were asked? That you don't value their work.

Secondly, you say that they managed to complete the task, which suggests if you'd given then the task of completing a symmetrical figure (which is reflective symmetry) it would have been too easy for them anyway. So assuming your LO was related to symmetry it is fine. In fact you're showing you're taking their prior knowledge into account and not just blindly following some script.

Try not to fall into the idea that activities are y4 or y5... If you're teaching them about symmetry, then what do they know already? What do they need to know next? (appologies if it seems like I'm stating the obvious)

5. PeakyBlinder

Turns out there was no **** up. The task I had given them was exactly what Year 4 should be doing. I went back to the White Rose planning & shape reflections were there! I was just doing my usual trick of questioning myself to death & convincing myself that I'm stupid; I do that a lot! Thanks for the replies, I'll sleep tonight.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that when designing or selecting activities for the children these should be based on the children's next steps in learning linked to the programme of study rather than seeing them as a preparation for the assessment tests.

7. PeakyBlinder

Not at all & I have selected activities based on their next steps but ones that are more similar to the examples included in the assessments than the activities I used last year. The concept of the lesson was the same (completing a symmetrical figure) but I gave them more challenging examples this year rather than setting them up for a fall by giving them examples that were far easier than the ones they will be expected to complete in the assessment.

I loathe "teaching to the test" as much as any teacher but I also hate the feeling that I haven't prepared them for assessments by failing to give them enough opportunities to complete tasks similar to what will be expected when assessment week rolls around.

carriecat10 likes this.
  8. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I would hardly call that a major **** up at all! I wouldnt worry about it. Just a mistake.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Glad it's not just me!

It's the kind of thing I do all the time, but wouldn't ever fret about it.

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You need to relax man. This would not even register on the Pomz scale of **** ups :)