1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting over a bad experience and applying for new jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Moony, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I think I'm posting this more to get it out of my system and confront it as it where. I've just seen a job advert that I think is suitable, however its brought up a mini case of the worries in me. In a nut shell I had a very unpleasent time just the other year, my face didn't fit in the job and dispite really trying to make things work at the school I was doing badly, I ended up being off with stress and being ready to leave the teaching profession. Thankfully I only had a years contract so I was out easily enough and I've been on supply since then which has really helped to rebuild my confidence. But as I said it was only the other year, this is my 2nd year out from that school and I'm wondering if it's still normal to have the odd wobble as it where at this stage when getting over something like this.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I think I'm posting this more to get it out of my system and confront it as it where. I've just seen a job advert that I think is suitable, however its brought up a mini case of the worries in me. In a nut shell I had a very unpleasent time just the other year, my face didn't fit in the job and dispite really trying to make things work at the school I was doing badly, I ended up being off with stress and being ready to leave the teaching profession. Thankfully I only had a years contract so I was out easily enough and I've been on supply since then which has really helped to rebuild my confidence. But as I said it was only the other year, this is my 2nd year out from that school and I'm wondering if it's still normal to have the odd wobble as it where at this stage when getting over something like this.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As any of us who've been on supply and out of the classroom a while would say, yes you do suffer crises of confidence from time to time.
    However that experience will have helped you know what you <u>do</u> need from a school so why not submit an application and see what comes of it?

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Oh I'm going to don't you worry ;) Whilst i've done more supply than direct work for schools I've been lucky that most of my supply has been long term cover. I think it's just a case of a given tendancy to fret/worry over things and having had a fairly unpleasant experience. And from experience I usually find outing my worries helps me shake them.

5. Lara mfl 05

Good to hear that moony.
    Go on then write that 'supreb application'. Use all Theo's advice, the job spec. and any extra info about the school you can find to tailor yourself so completely they'll just want to see you in the flesh. Then you can suss out if it's the type of school you want to work in.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

hehe

I'm going to have to go digging about it, it's an academy style school which I've got little experience of (one of those studio schools) and I'd have to move so doing my homework is going to be key. And I know when i get poetical on these things i can write up very strong personal statements too.

As much as anything else I was just wanting to know it's normal to still have the wobbles when looking at applying for jobs again after soemthing like what I went through.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Definately. I'm still waiting for karma to do its thing [​IMG]
    I've applied for a load of jobs and always have the wobbles as to whether I want it, is my application any good etc but when I get to the interview lesson its usually great fun and reminds me how much I want it. Fingers crossed for you. xx

8. Lara mfl 05

Even when yo've got the job, teachers are notorious for being obsessors over whether they're doing it right, are they doing for best for xxx etc. The 'wobbles' sort of 'comes with the job' and in my opinion shows you're doing a good job.

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Mines more a case of the wobbles over history repeating itself! But that's just something to be managed :)

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Ha! I don't just do that at work, I flap like that over everything ;)

However at the xmas do for the school i'm doing some part time on going supply I was chatting with the HoD about my bad year and he said I shouldn't worry as I am a good teacher.

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I know that feeling. I know I wouldn't handle it the same though. Always nice to get reassurances your good at your job so feel proud you got told that. [​IMG] x

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, Moony, here are two more bits of homework for you!
    1) Read very carefully the two Shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread att he top of the Forum. They show you how to present yourself most effectively. People on here swear by the Executive Summary in particular - so just do it!
    2) Read this so that you are not apologetic about Supply in youir appkication:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Bump it when you've read it - we could do with having it near the top again. Thanks.
    Best wishes, and best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars