1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting out "on the sick"

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sortmeout, Feb 27, 2012.

1. first up, i'm not a sponger who wants to, or has ever, lived off the state.......
    I DO have serious back issues and after 10 years teaching I just physically cant keep at it much longer.
    I cant walk more than 20 yards without a stick and I hobble round the place doing my best, but I realise (duh) that being loaded with painkillers isn't a good isea in a classroom, much less a D&T workshop.....
    the only time I've taken off was the day after I had spinal injections and my legs weren't working the best.......
    there aren't any straight forward redundancies available and my HOD is ahead of me in the que for a transfer redundancy.
    so, to get out on the sick......
    I know I'll get 6 months full pay and 6 on half. is there a severance payment? how would pension work?
    it there any point?
    I know that the Dr will write me the sick notes as HE knows I'm not a sponger, but would it be to my advantage to get out as sick or just resign and walk away?
    Thanks!

2. first up, i'm not a sponger who wants to, or has ever, lived off the state.......
    I DO have serious back issues and after 10 years teaching I just physically cant keep at it much longer.
    I cant walk more than 20 yards without a stick and I hobble round the place doing my best, but I realise (duh) that being loaded with painkillers isn't a good isea in a classroom, much less a D&T workshop.....
    the only time I've taken off was the day after I had spinal injections and my legs weren't working the best.......
    there aren't any straight forward redundancies available and my HOD is ahead of me in the que for a transfer redundancy.
    so, to get out on the sick......
    I know I'll get 6 months full pay and 6 on half. is there a severance payment? how would pension work?
    it there any point?
    I know that the Dr will write me the sick notes as HE knows I'm not a sponger, but would it be to my advantage to get out as sick or just resign and walk away?
    Thanks!

3. I don't know how it works, but if you are "of a certain age" would you not be eligible for early retirement due to ill health?? HR would advise I'm sure, or the union if you are a member.
    Perhaps your health problem would give you priority over the HoD for redundancy?
    Sounds like a difficult position to be in. My daughter's maths teacher has been off with back trouble for a while and it seems he is taking the ill health retirement route, such a shame 'cos he is well liked, but it appears he has done all he can to be fit to work, as it seems you have. Sometimes there's no option.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
    Hx

4. BTW, if you are unwell or incapacitated you are not a sponger!
    Repeat after me "I am NOT a sponger" etc.!
    Hx

5. I would speak to the school earlier rather than later as they may be more understanding than you think. As a HT I've dealt with Long-term sickness and the first thing that will happen is that the school will send you to Occupational Health within a month of going off sick. They may well recommend retirement on the grounds of Ill health in which case you may be offered early retirement or a package of some sort. Speak to your Union and they will advise the best course of action.

6. Thanks folk, good advice all....
    retirement isn't an option as I'm only (!) 45 so I'll have to find some other way to pay 4 infuriatingly bright kids through college and pay the mortgage etc.
    I'll talk to union & HR and see what they say.....

7. Middlemarch is largely correct, but there are a couple of points I would take issue with, if I may. Pt 3 - the policy is usually 100 working days at full pay and 100 days half pay. But if the underlying condition remains the same, it's still 100 days whether it's taken a few days at a time or all in one block. Also, heads are always advised to liaise with LA HR as they are the professionals in relation to employment law and policy - only rarely do heads act on their own. They should always abide by their Management of Attendance policy - which you are entitled to see. Middlemarch is correct in identifying patterns. Key to the process is a sequence of review meetings. It is these which should inform a school's actions, so make sure you have union representation.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Apologies for not being specific/precise enough, iconoclastic and thanks for clarifying things for the OP.