1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting out of the field? EdTech?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mikkellambert1991, Dec 8, 2018.

1. mikkellambert1991

mikkellambert1991 New commenter

Hey folks,

You've heard it before. I'm tired, stressed, burnt out, my students don't bring me joy, the IB is making all of the students miserable, and I just don't think I can keep it up. I just started at a new school in Europe, and my HOD is great, but the school community is so negative. Just thinking about going back on Monday is making my stomach hurt.

I love education. I love learning. I love my students individually. I am super passionate about literacy, edtech, and developing skills in both English and Drama (my subjects). I just can't keep putting on the happy face when I'm literally falling apart. I never feel like I've done good enough and there's always more to do. It doesn't help that there is a coworker who is literally rooting for my failure because I was hired for a job that they wanted.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I don't want to jump ship without having a place to land. Financially, I just can't. I'm looking at edtech companies and roles that might suit me. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm willing to change fields, I just don't know how to do it.

*Dreaming of a 9-5 job*

2. Lilmonkey1982

Lilmonkey1982 New commenter

I gave up teaching in 2014, basically the school wouldn't accommodate me after my maternity leave.
    I completed my TAQA in assessing and assessed for over a year on the childcare apprenticeships, which I absolutely loved. However after a temporary contract ended and having to go full time and hour away from where I live with 2 under 5's at the time, didn't work and only lasted for 9 months. I'd absolutely love to go back into this field of work but the jobs aren't available in my area and being a mum of 2 I have to think sensibly on how far I can travel, especially with hubby's working hours.

I now work as a HLTA and hate it, purely because I'm being treated as a PPA teacher and the increase in expectations from what we do is just getting silly for what we get paid. However it's a good way of staying within education and not having the added teaching pressures placed down on you.

Whatever you do good luck!