1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Getting on a GTP programme?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by purpleroad, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Is it a case of simply being a teaching assistant then getting sponsored onto the GTP? Are there any other ways of getting onto a GTP programme?
  2. I wouldn't say it was 'simply' a case of anything... you don't just need to find a school to sponsor you, you also need to find a University/training provider place to provide the training and qualification. The TDA website is the best place to look, or look at specific university sites.
  3. No. You need the right experience and qualifications.
    Being a TA may help in that you will have school based experience, but it is a lot more than just this experience.
    I worked as a cover supervisor for the year before I got on my GTP, but it was my previous experience and qualifications that counted for much much more.

  4. As others have said above, you need the right qualifications to begin with. I didn't have a GCSE in science, so I completed an equivalency course and managed to gain this. I've just started on the GTP and I have never worked as a teaching assistant, but I was able to complete a lot of work experience within schools, which obviously counted for a lot when it came to finding a school to take me on/applying/the interview.

    You need to prove that you are able to hit the ground running and be able to teach almost straight away as it is far, far more intense than any other training route. As long as you are able to prove this and have the necessary qualifications, then go for it!
  5. No unfortunately it is not that simple.
    If you go to the TDA website you will find the information you need:
    Being a TA in a school already may help in the respect that a school already knows you but it also depends on previous experience, what you can bring to the school etc.
    I worked in the NHS delivering health education/improvement interventions before i applied so i had not been employed by a school before.
    Generally you need to find a school to take you on first and then apply to a training provider (who will provide your core training and funding) who will have a limited number of places to offer for the year so it is very competitive! But different training providers may have different ways of working so check out who your local provider is (you can check this on the TDA website) and look at their website/give them a call.
    Be positive though, if it's what you want do everything you can to make it happen!
    I didn't think that i would be successful but i was so it can happen, i now just have to work out what i'm doing and how to do it, it's going to be a tough year!!
    Good luck!
  6. 'so I completed an equivalency course and managed to gain this'
    Where can I find details of this niccccc? My local college was over subscribed for GCSE Science this year [​IMG]
  7. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Equivalency courses are endorsed by individual universities and are used to gain entry onto their ITT programmes. They are not transferable between universities and not a qualification in their own right. You need to check what your local EBITTs are doing - their details are on the TDA GTP pages.

Share This Page