1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting NQT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dugboppp, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Dear James, How do I get NQT? Can I do it on-line? How much does it cost and how long does it take to complete?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Once you have done teacher training in the UK (PGCE or GTP) you need to do an additional year employed in a school (paid as a normal teacher). This is your NQT year in which you need to meet certain standards in order to pass and be able to continue in the teaching profession. x

3. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

NQT is like an induction period typically one full year in a teaching post. However it can be completed on supply if you are in a long term supply post and in a part time post (although it will take you longer) with the agreement of the school. During this time you have to prove you have achieved certain standards through lesson observations and keeping records of work you have done. You need to complete this induction period to gain Qualified Teacher Status and continue in your career.

4. No, NQT induction cannot be done onlne - only by actually teaching a class in a school where you will be supported, after satisfactory lesson observations and portfolio of evidence.
    It doesn't cost anything for you - it's part of your entitlement as a newly qualified teacher.
    It takes one year full-time, and pro-rata part-time. So if you only teach 50% timetable of a full-time NQT (having taken account of your PPA and induction entitlements), it will take two years.
    But your question is ambiguous. If you mean becoming an NQT from scratch, you need to successfully complete an ITT course, either as a graduate (e.g. PGCE), undergraduate (e.g BEd or BA with QTS etc) or on an employment-based course (e.g. GTP). Costs vary depending on the route chosen, where you study (tuition fees will vary from 2012) and whether you are eligible for bursary and/or stident support. It normally takes a minimum of one year (e.g. FT PGCE) and maximum of 4 years (some undergraduate teaching degrees).

5. As well as the replies above, I'd add that you should never ever make reference to this post again. If I was a headteacher and saw this from one of my (potential or actual) NQTs I'd be extremely worried.

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm fairly sure the OP has mixed up "ITT" and "NQT".

7. No, I don't, but I know how to find out information for myself without relying on others. I also wouldn't even consider the possibility that you could get qualified teacher status simply by doing something online, without having any contact with pupils. I stand by my comment, I wouldn't want them anywhere near my pupils.