1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting myself worked up about new job...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Anyone else panicking about starting a new job? I have been in the same post for the whole 4 years of my career since I qualified and now in September I am making a move to a role as HOD in a new school.. So to summarise I have the following things to deal with:

* New School with new buildings and rooms to get used to
    * All the staff in my new department have been there for years already so feel a bit strange walking in to the HOD job when they know the dept really well already
    * All new students to get to know and learn names of etc
    * A new exam board at A-level which is totally different in structure AND topics to the one I am used to teaching
    * Having to redo a whole unit of coursework with the 11 students as their last HOD taught them a topic from the old spec by mistake that they cannot submit
    * Having to sort out a completely disastrous collection of coursework because none of it has been printed or put in folders, some folders seem to be missing etc..
    * Having to drastically improve their practical coursework as at the moment it is not that strong
    * Having to learn and teach students how to use totally unfamiliar ICT software that I've never used before, because it is a very old and out of date software that is not industry standard.. (I have asked for the new software to be installed but have been told that the ICT Support department are unable to do this until Christmas at the earliest!)

It all just feels like a LOT to have to cope with in my first few weeks at a new school. I am so looking forward to proving myself as HOD (I have been Acting HOD before) but it is just a little overwhelming and a lot to get my head around especially as Im getting married in the October half term.. Getting myself a little bit stressed!